Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 05, 2003, 10:46
The Frank & Walters version of ' Elegant Chaos'
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Re: Robert Wyatt
Jan 05, 2003, 12:15
The king of the cover version for me has always been Robert Wyatt, whose unique renditions of 'I'm A Believer', 'Yesterday Man' and (especially) Chic's 'At Last I Am Free' are recreations of infinite beauty. It's his irresistable, impossibly fragile voice that floors me every time. Love 'im to bits I does.

DW
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Re: Johnny Cash
Jan 05, 2003, 12:18
...and an honourable mention is deserved of the great Mr Cash, not least for turning Depeche Mode's awful 'Personal Jesus' into something quite wonderful on his latest album.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 05, 2003, 14:18
Cale's version of 'Pablo Picasso' makes me laugh a lot.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 14:19
...or, for turning 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' into something decent.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 15:08
Indeed.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 15:25
I was actually quite moved one night while listening to his version of NIN's "Hurt"...what a voice on that man..even if it is somewhat diminished..incedible
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Re: Robert Wyatt / Stereolab
Jan 05, 2003, 15:37
Was Ship Building written for Wyatt by Elvis Costello or was it a Costello song that Wyatt Covered? It's great whichever it is.

Billy Holidays -Strange Fruit by Wyatt is very cool too.

Stereolab have covered quite a few Neu tracks in their time too, thats a can of worms it's best not to open i think ;-)

TpS
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 17:28
Quite. Age and illness has rendered his voice undoubtedly weaker, but it is that increased fragility that makes it even more intense and appealing to my ears. I'd recommend 'A Man Comes Around' to any music lover.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Re: Robert Wyatt / Stereolab
Jan 05, 2003, 17:32
I believe that Costello wrote 'Shipbuilding' with Wyatt in mind. Whatever, Wyatt released his version first. So I guess it can't qualify as a cover version as such.

On the subjects of Elvis Costello and cover versions, his rendition of the Brinsleys' 'Peace Love And Understanding' is a gas.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index