Re: Song To The Siren
Jan 04, 2003, 23:00
I like that very much too. I also loved TMC's version of 'Kangaroo'
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 23:19
Yeah there's some good stuff on all the This Mortal Coil albums.

Wasn't so moved by The Hope Blister though.
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 23:46
Their 'Blood' album used to be my 'splitting up' album. I'd put it on over and over again after yet another relationship had fallen apart. Just when you think you can't feel any worse, you listen to that and you do!
But it sort of lifts you up at the end, so thats not so bad I s'pose.
I had to ban myself from listening to it eventually and it's been collecting dust in my bedroom for at least 5 years now - much as I love it I don't think I could face hearing it again.
Its a funny old world.... :-)
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

This Mortal Coil
Jan 05, 2003, 00:17
I'm surprised at just how many of TMC's songs are covers. Never having heard the originals, I only have them to go on. I do love Blood and it'll end in tears, though, even if the project that is TMC didn't write half the material.
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: This Mortal Coil
Jan 05, 2003, 00:22
Well, fuck my old boots.

Here I am catching up with the posts and I'm listening to a "Bollywood Themed" Cd from Joolio called "The Karma Collection" and wot comes on the CD?

A version of Song To The Siren - bloody hell!!!

I haven't a track listing, but it's an Indian styled version, if it's not Liz singing, she copies her style.

Serendipity
the same as 23
1 posts

Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 05, 2003, 00:23
hmmm, who did all along the watchtower first, was it Bob or Jimi? Both versions are cool. Quite liked The Cure's cover of Purple Haze for the launch of Xfm, John Cale does a wicked 'Heartbreak Hotel' I think. Marilyn Manson's Tainted love was alright I suppose - certainly unexpected. What else? Oh captain beefheart covers J.J Cales 'same old blues'. Didn't realize that This Mortal Coil's Song to the Siren was a cover until The Seth Man told me in the chatroom. For some reason he got a bit narked with me for calling him 'Mr Rock encyclopaedia'!
is all
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 00:27
Dylan wrote All Along the Watchtower and recorded it 1st for his John Wesley Harding album,I believe

Another good John Cale cover is his version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujiah

This Mortal Coil did do some fine covers as mentioned above
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Covers Albums anyone?
Jan 05, 2003, 00:55
Mention of Hendrix made me think of 'Kicking Against The Pricks' by Nick Cave. Cd version's best as it features 'Running Scared'. His first Badseeds single 'In The Ghetto' is pretty special too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 01:08
Fun Lovin' Criminals did an oddball lounge version of Ozzy Ozbourne's Crazy Train.
And I've got a really nice version of Blue Monday by someone(s?) called Flunk on an old freebie cd. All acoustic and floaty sounding.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 01:27
XTC covered 'All Along The Watchtower' on their first album. Pretty good it was too.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index