Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jun 19, 2022, 09:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 June 2022 CE
Jun 19, 2022, 09:10
This week’s selection:

Elton John ‘Madman Across The Water’ piano demos - even finer than the released album;
The Jam ‘This Is The Modern World’ - a bit rushed it may be, but time has been kinder to The Jam’s second album than I thought it would at 16. I can think of a lot of career lows worse than this;
National Health S/T - another, very different, 1977 gem;
Elbow ‘Giants Of All Sizes’ - it’s too easy to take this fine band for granted;
Harmonia ‘Musik von Harmonia’ - about half of which I love; the rest…meh;
Tangerine Dream ‘Electronic Meditation’ - no such ambiguity about this classic though;
Can ‘Soon Over Babaluma’ - underrated in Can’s mighty canon, this was my introduction to them back in ‘74 and remains a fave;
Soft Machine ‘Third’ - which would be better with the Peel Session versions of three of its four tracks IMHO. Still a decent album mind;
Vaughan Williams: Norfolk Rhapsody no.1 (Halle/Elder) - cowpat music at its best;
Beethoven: Symphony no.2 (Pittsburgh SO/Steinberg) - pretty much ideal take on this comparatively underrated work;
Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (BRSO/Klemperer 1969) - slow, but full of grandeur;
Beethoven: Symphony no.8 (BPO/Karajan 1977) - Karajan’s most vibrant recording of LvB’s quirkiest symphony;
Elgar: Caractacus, Op.35 (RLPO/Groves) - great music, dire libretto;
Messiaen: Vingt Regards sur l’Enfant Jesus (Bertrand Chamayou) - impressive new recording of this endlessly fascinating keyboard masterpiece.

Have a great week, all

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index