7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2022, 09:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 June 2022 CE
Jun 12, 2022, 09:33
Tangerine Dream ‘Alpha Centauri’ - I’m re-reading Julian’s wonderful ‘Krautrocksampler’ and, just like nearly thirty years ago, it’s sent me back drooling to fab early 70s gems like this. The epic title track may just be my favourite Tangs track ever;
Tangerine Dream ‘Raum’ - nothing like the above (well, how could it be) but surprisingly enjoyable in its unassuming way;
Can ‘Soundtracks’ and
Can ‘Ege Bamyasi’ - there’s no comment I can make about these bread & butter albums that will make them any better than they already are. I don’t believe that anyone reading this doesn’t know these awesome discs but if you don’t, stop at nothing to put your life back on track;
Opeth ‘Garden of the Titans’ - heavy shit of the highest order;
Killing Joke S/T - still kicks hard after 42 years;
Elton John ‘Madman Across The Water’ 50th Anniversary Edition - the piano demos included on Disc 2 are sublime, and a wonderful alternative to the established classic that Elton’s fourth album remains;
Van Morrison ‘Common One’ - the quiet sublimity of which has now placed this even higher than ‘Astral Weeks’ in my affections;
Gong ‘Camembert Electrique’ - so much more powerful in its latest (2015?) Charly remaster. And what an album it is;
Cluster ‘Cluster II’ - Moebius & Roedelius’ finest hour IMHO;
Klaus Schulze ‘Timewind’ - as always, Seth’s nailed this perfectly with his recent review. Two near perfect slabs of synth abstraction, always stimulating but never assaulting the senses;
Brian Eno ‘Reflection’ - the app version will play for ever if you let it, never quite repeating itself. Beautiful;
Hank Williams Jr ‘Wild Streak’ - of its time, but a lot less embarrassing than many country albums from the late 80s;
Mark Turner & Ethan Iverson ‘Temporary Kings’ - incredible how much beauty and colour can be gleaned from a piano and a reed;
Also played these excellent classical discs:
Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.4 (Kovacevitch/BBC SO/Colin Davis)
Beethoven: Symphony no.6 (VPO/Boehm)
Brahms: Symphony no.4 (LGO/Blomstedt 2021)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.6 (BPO/Karajan 1964)
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.9 (Halle/Elder)
Messiaen: Vingt Regards sur la infant Jesus (Bertrand Chamayou)

Unsung Forum Index