Ghost – Opvs Eponymovs

Blue Öyster Cult - st

Roky Erickson & The Aliens - The Evil One

Wovenhand - Silver Sash

Paul Weller - Fat Pop (Volume 1)

Tangerine Dream - EXIT

Blut Aus Nord – Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses

Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Jonathan Sings!

Howlin' Wolf - His Best

Donald Erb, Grand Rapids Symphony, Catherine Comet, Richard Stoltzman, Miriam Fried, Ava Ordman – Clarinet Concerto · Violin Concerto · Trombone Concerto
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2022, 09:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 June 2022 CE
Jun 12, 2022, 09:33
Tangerine Dream ‘Alpha Centauri’ - I’m re-reading Julian’s wonderful ‘Krautrocksampler’ and, just like nearly thirty years ago, it’s sent me back drooling to fab early 70s gems like this. The epic title track may just be my favourite Tangs track ever;
Tangerine Dream ‘Raum’ - nothing like the above (well, how could it be) but surprisingly enjoyable in its unassuming way;
Can ‘Soundtracks’ and
Can ‘Ege Bamyasi’ - there’s no comment I can make about these bread & butter albums that will make them any better than they already are. I don’t believe that anyone reading this doesn’t know these awesome discs but if you don’t, stop at nothing to put your life back on track;
Opeth ‘Garden of the Titans’ - heavy shit of the highest order;
Killing Joke S/T - still kicks hard after 42 years;
Elton John ‘Madman Across The Water’ 50th Anniversary Edition - the piano demos included on Disc 2 are sublime, and a wonderful alternative to the established classic that Elton’s fourth album remains;
Van Morrison ‘Common One’ - the quiet sublimity of which has now placed this even higher than ‘Astral Weeks’ in my affections;
Gong ‘Camembert Electrique’ - so much more powerful in its latest (2015?) Charly remaster. And what an album it is;
Cluster ‘Cluster II’ - Moebius & Roedelius’ finest hour IMHO;
Klaus Schulze ‘Timewind’ - as always, Seth’s nailed this perfectly with his recent review. Two near perfect slabs of synth abstraction, always stimulating but never assaulting the senses;
Brian Eno ‘Reflection’ - the app version will play for ever if you let it, never quite repeating itself. Beautiful;
Hank Williams Jr ‘Wild Streak’ - of its time, but a lot less embarrassing than many country albums from the late 80s;
Mark Turner & Ethan Iverson ‘Temporary Kings’ - incredible how much beauty and colour can be gleaned from a piano and a reed;
Also played these excellent classical discs:
Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.4 (Kovacevitch/BBC SO/Colin Davis)
Beethoven: Symphony no.6 (VPO/Boehm)
Brahms: Symphony no.4 (LGO/Blomstedt 2021)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.6 (BPO/Karajan 1964)
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.9 (Halle/Elder)
Messiaen: Vingt Regards sur la infant Jesus (Bertrand Chamayou)
flashbackcaruso
1050 posts

Jun 12, 2022, 10:55
Sedna Chronicles - Sedna Chronicles

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering
Genesis - Seconds Out

Bob Dylan - Infidels
Bob Dylan - Empire Burlesque
Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded
Bob Dylan - Down In The Groove

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

The Kinks - The Kinks
The Kinks - Kinda Kinks
The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy

Madness - One Step Beyond
Madness - Absolutely
Madness - 7

Cluster - Cluster
Cluster - Cluster II
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Cluster - Sowiesoso (hard to argue with Fitter Stoke above about Cluster II, but I think Sowiesoso just edges it for me, with those sad 'Charlie Brown' melodies, as Cope describes them)

Amon Düül 2 - Vive La Trance
Amon Düül 2 - Live In London
Amon Düül 2 - Live At The BBC
Amon Düül 2 - Utopia

Rokurokubi - Saturn In Pisces
Rokurokubi - Iris, Flower Of Violence (a friend of mine met singer Rose Dutton at this year's Jack In The Green in Hastings and promptly shared her music with me. Love these two albums so much I've ordered them on vinyl. Mesmerising acid folk on which she sings and drums!)

La Düsseldorf - La Düsseldorf
La Düsseldorf - Viva
La Düsseldorf - Individuellos (starting to think Individuellos is my favourite La D album - it's certainly the most euphoric and that church bell on 'Sentimental' takes me back to my annual holidays in Germany in the 1980s)

Walter Wegmuller - Tarot
garerama
garerama
1104 posts

Jun 12, 2022, 11:15
Boards Of Canada - Geodaddi / The Campfire Headphase

David Bowie - The Forgotten Songs Of David Robert Jones / Life Is A Circus / Complete Unreleased BBC & More

Current 93 - Island (with HOH) / The Day Of Dawn (with DIJ & Sol Invictus) / All The Pretty Horses / Soft Black Stars / Six Six Six Sic Sic Sic

Robert Fripp - Music For Quiet Moments Parts 1-29

Edgar Froese - Aqua

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms / Tales Of Ephidrina / Dead Cities

Gandalf - S/t / II

Gang Of Four - Entertainment!

Genesis (US Psych) - In The Beginning

Lisa Gerrard & Piere Bourke - Duality

Harmonia - Deluxe / Live 1974

Matching Mole - S/t / Little Red Record

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything / Loveless / E.P's 1988-1991

Andy Partridge - Planet England (with Robin Hitchcock) / My Failed Songwriting Career Vol 1 & 2

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance

Lee 'Scratch' Perry & The Upsetters - Scratch The Upsetter Again / Battle Of Armagideon

The Pretty Things - Greatest Hits

Elvis Presley - Elvis's 40 Greatest

Spirit - S/t / The Family That Plays Together

Martin Stephenson & The Dainties - Boat To Bolivia

Swans - The Glowing Man / Leaving Meaning

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats / Heathen Earth

X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Zuma / Rust Never Sleeps
keith a
9565 posts

Jun 12, 2022, 22:25
The Sound Of The Phantom Whistle EP – Actual Taped Voices

Covers EP – Associates

Shortwave Memories – Biosphere

1st Peel Session – Julian Cope
Fried – Julian Cope

In The Trees EP – Faze Action

Africa Dub All-Mighty Chapter 3 – Joe Gibbs & the Professionals

London Social Scene – Dana Gillespie
What Memories We Make – Dana Gillespie

Kiwanuka – Michael Kiwanuka

Urgent – Gladys Knight & the Pips

Swingin' Calypsos – Lord Flea & his Calypsonians

Approved By… - The Motors

Shrink – The Notwist
Vertigo Days – The Notwist

Infinatati: Intrusion Dubs 12” - Phase 90

Stars Shine Like Eyes (single) - Pye Corner Audio
Entangled Routes - Pye Corner Audio
Social Dissonance (Live At The Social, London 2019) – Pye Corner Audio

Four Hands - Roedelius & Story

Cloak & Dagger – Scratch The Upsetter

Happiness Not Included – Soft Cell

The Gliderdome – T.Rex
Bolan's Zip Gun – T.Rex

Glam Nuggets (Mojo) – V/A

After Dark – Alan Vega

Inchpinchers – Wailing Souls
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Jun 13, 2022, 10:59
Arthur Brown- The Crazy World of
Arthur Brown- Strangelands
Arthur Brown- Dance
Arthur Brown- Long Long Road
Spiritualized- Let it Come Down
The Runaways- Best of
The Velvet Underground- Loaded
Jane Aire & The Belvederes- S/T
Jeremy Taylor- A Piece of Ground
Widowmaker- Running Free
Die Welttraumforscher- Liederbuch
Elaine Howley- The Distance Between Heart And Mouth
Hoover III- Round of Applause
V/A- Motown Chartbusters Volume 3
V/A- Phil Spector Echoes of the 60s
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 19, 2022, 23:38
Jun 17, 2022, 13:04
As I was at Primavera Porto last week, most of my listening was live, so I'll just list the bands I saw and my reactions to them:

Derby Motoreta's Burrito Kachimba
(Yes, really!) Rather good. Lots of Asian psych, flamenco and classic rock

Penelope Isles
Never heard them before, above-average indie rock, not bad at
all.

Kim Gordon
Didn't really take off for me. Every time her set seemed to be gaining momentum it'd peter out into a morass of self-consciously arty-farty noise, and the people I was with seemed to agree.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Utterly Godlike, and the best thing I saw all weekend. One of the few musicians I can think besides Bowie and Prince who's equally talented at being both an artist and an entertainer.

Tame Impala
Way surpassed my expectations as the only album of theirs that I like all that much is their first. Watched it from the top of the hill rather than getting closer to the front as they have a lightshow that rivals early Hawkwind's and you could see it more clearly from there.

Shellac
Pretty good but felt like an incongruous venue for what they do, especially as I'd always read that Steve Albini hated playing festivals.

King Krule
Pleasantly surprised the he drew a large crowd, given how offbeat and difficult to categorise his music is. Very solid set, similar to the one he played at End of the Road last year.

Beck
Reasonable but would have enjoyed it more if he'd had a full band rather than just a drummer and a guy triggering samples. Felt a little karaoke-ish at times.

Pavement
Well chosen set that featured a mixture of classics and more obscure album tracks, and my friends all thought it was the weekend's highlight. Whilst I wasn't quite as euphoric as them - possibly due to having been the only one that saw the original band back in the day - the parts that gelled were highly enjoyable.

Dry Cleaning
Very good, as ever, although possibly more suited to an indoor venue like the Forum where I saw them in March.

Dinosaur Jr.
Pretty good. Glad Lou Barlow and J.Mascis have patched things up as Barlow's manic stage presence was a big asset. Pretty much a greatest hits set without a great deal of post-reformation material, but whilst what I've heard of the latter sounded quite good I had no complaints about that.

Interpol
I'm only familiar with their first album, but despite them not playing much that I'd heard it was a solid set, although there were occasions when Paul Banks seemed to be straining to hit the notes. I read from a friend on Facebook that they cancelled the date they were due to play in London two days later at the last minute, so I suspect illness (possibly Covid?) may have been a factor there.

Joy Orbison
Pounding DJ set which mostly consisted of the kind of stuff I remember people referring to as nosebleed techno back in the 90s (basically proto-gabba but not as fast), although with some pleasing drum'n'bassy interludes.

Squid
Did their usual arty post-punk / post-rock / drone-rock / noise thang, and were decent enough to thank the relatively few people who decided to watch them rather than Gorillaz.

Meanwhile, the only new release I've bought so far this month is The Utopia Strong's "International Treasure", which sounded marvellous on the two occasions I've been able to listen to it so far.
Unsung Forum Index