40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Re: Wahnfried 2022
May 23, 2022, 20:55
The Seth Man wrote:
Timely, indeed. I never knew an experience like the one I had yesterday.

Which was: constantly listening to a record (in this case: TIMEWIND) 474 times while writing about it. During a break, I was on Twitter and read: "RIP Klaus Schulze."

It was extremely strange reading that because I've been living in a world of near-nonstop Schulze for the past 10 months by bombarding my conscious and subconscious mind with his music.

I've used BLACKDANCE as a driving aid.

I've used TIMEWIND as a device to lower my body temperature and elevate my mind.

I'm currently using another KS album to realign my physical body with my mind though endless repetitions.

I've been researching him heavily, reviewing pictures and fitting together his timeline with the Kunstkopf brothers, Far East Family Band, Stomu Yamashta's Go on top of his own solo career.

Then all the pre-solo work: 1970 Tangerine Dream, 1971-1973 Ash Ra Tempel, all the Cosmic Couriers recordings...His work is stunning AND there is so much of it.

The man started as a drummer in 1967 and ten years later was performing the insanely compelling improvisation "For Barry Graves" live on German TV??!

Oh, and revolutionised electronic music several times over in the same interim.

That man they called Klaus Schulze was a genius. But it's only his physical shell that has expired. His energy is still out there somewhere: now coursing through the universe and residing in his own Wahnfried 2022 but certainly it endureth in all of his recordings.

I only barely knew his records, despite knowing well his name. Based on your post I ordered Blackdance and Timewind. The former hasn't arrived yet, but I was able to give Timewind a solid, mushroom-assisted listen yesterday. There was a moment - somewhere in my head - where Klaus suddenly turned his car around and was driving the wrong way down a German country road through rain and gale-force winds. Despite the weather, he had his window open and his arm casually hanging out the car as he raced to get back to where he was again headed. The mirrored aviators were a nice touch. It was a fantastic experience - and it's a freaky little album. Emotionally, there aren't obvious signposts that I can identify. The music/sound moves within and around itself. A layer of this in contrast to a layer of that. Forgive my caveman depiction, but I'm grateful for the guidance towards this album and the other.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index