Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Re: Wahnfried 2022
May 04, 2022, 17:57
The Seth Man wrote:
Zariadris wrote:
Wow. HUGELY appreciated Seth Man. I'll use this guide as a roadmap and probably start with Cyborg.

One more thing...I got an early CD reissue of Moondawn (I forget the label, but not Spalax, rather the folks who reissued Mirage around the same time), later to read in Audion (or somewhere) that it's not the same mix as the original. Any thoughts?

Z

Zariadris,
Yes, the 1991 CD issues on the Brain and Thunderbolt labels were pressed from masters Schulze had overdubbed mellotron and extra reverb onto in order to cover up tape hiss, apparently. The tracks were also shortened -- again, (I think) in a bid to eliminate tape hiss.

"Floating" original time: 27:15 (26:53 on the 1991 issues)
"Mindphaser" original time: 25:22 (25:05 on the 1991 issues)

CD versions produced since (Japan 1995, Germany 2005, Japan 2007, EU 2016, Japan 2018) contain the original version.

(Note: although extremely expensive, the recent Japanese issues of Schulze's seventies back catalogue on Arcangelo (2007) and the SHM-CD series on Belle Antique (2018) sound so fantastic that it borders on the occult.)

Right on Seth Man. Thanks for this!

I'll seek out the original version, but the 1991 dubs always sounded great enough to me...mellotron and extra reverb never hurts...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index