40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Edited May 03, 2022, 16:52
Re: Wahnfried 2022
May 03, 2022, 16:52
Citizensmurf,

You have pretty much scored it all! Great you got BODY LOVE 2 (ADDITIONAL MUSIC FROM). That was the first Klaus Schulze album I ever saw, then purchased. In 1981, copies of the US Island pressing were everywhere in NYC for $2.99. (Already had the Go albums because I -- then, as now -- really liked Traffic and Winwood was part of the floating lineup.) Upon recent re-listen, the second side had some stunning moments I didn't recall at all.

Like a good friend first said to me decades ago, live albums and compilations cap off an era and Schulze's ...LIVE... (1980) is no exception. It's not only commendable but absolutely insane how Schulze kept up with new synthesizer developments. It did wind up impacting not only the sounds he got but the compositions he arranged them in.

As a result of this, the entirely digital DIG IT (1980) is clean and clinical as hell. Even though the prominent drum beats and vocoder vocals derail it somewhat (says the guy that loves Joy Division, MAN MACHINE and COMPUTER WORLD) but the final track has startling passages. Then again, I suppose Schulze could've easily continued with sequencer driven synthesizer albums for the next several years but instead pursued a far more difficult path of experimentation with no guarantees.

When Schulze was "fucked in lippy," (Ash Ra Tempel, TAROT, LORD KRISHNA VON GOLOKA, Cosmic Jokers, IRRLICHT, CYBORG), he could do no wrong: everything he touched was cosmic to the extreme and engaging as fuck forever. Buy it all and listen to it all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index