Alan Lancaster RIP

5 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
common era
865 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2021, 11:23
Re: Alan Lancaster RIP
Sep 28, 2021, 10:53
A very sad passing indeed. Status Quo were the band I grew up with and remain dear to my heart to this day, despite losing track of their output in the mid 1990s. I am now more than ever grateful for seeing the original Frantic Four live, along with my partner Rosie and Vybik, in 2013 and 2014 in Wolverhampton. When I closed my eyes during the shows I was instantly transported back to the mid 1970s, and the memory of those gigs, plus the many earlier ones I went to, will live with me forever.

I recall getting front row tickets for Quo at the NEC some time in the early 1980s and watching them stalking around the stage like panthers during Forty Five Hundred Times. At one point Alan Lancaster ran and jumped up onto the drum podium and then proceeded to fall arse over tit with a mighty crash. He simply got up and carried on.

Status Quo were predominantly a live band, that is where they shone. Yes, their gigs were full of dropped notes, forgotten lyrics and mistakes, but that's what made them great. The genius was in the imperfection.

Rock on Alan and thank you for the music and joy you brought to me and countless others.

1970 Beat Club, Bremen, West Germany. 27 minutes well spent IMHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxpxCXrApDQ

Nuff said. Over and Done.

Unsung Forum Index