Vangelis - China
Vangelis - Opera Suavage
Jon & Vangelis - Short Stories

David Bowie - Scary Monsters
David Bowie - Let's Dance
David Bowie - Tonight
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down

The Shangri-La's - Myrmidons Of Melodrama

The Everly Brothers - Dream: The Best Of...
The Everly Brothers - Warner Archives
The Everly Brothers - The Everly Brothers Show (weird how The Everlys have been cited as influences by most of the major acts of the 1960s yet tend to get sidelined in official histories of rock'n'roll, probably because they come from a country rather than blues background - understandable seeing as the black artists were initially sidelined themselves while the beat groups rode high on what they'd learned from them - but those close harmonies were an important part of the mix, and it is easy to forget how radical the arrangements were on some of those hits. Copey himself referred to the Everlys as 'natural wetnicks' but take a listen to their thrilling arrangement of the old 1930s standard 'Temptation' with totally out there female harmonies added to the mix, or the percussive overdrive on 'Muskrat'. Apparently Don was the creative genius behind these inspired productions, something I only just learned. Even 'Walk Right Back', which Cope described as 'stillborn fare' has an irresistable bounce, and Neil Young obviously liked it enough to nick the acoustic guitar riff for 'Harvest Moon'. Live album 'The Everly Brothers Show' suggests that in 1970 they hadn't kicked their amphetamine habit of the early 60s as several of the hits are taken at breakneck speed. Side 2 is entirely taken up with an 18 minute jam taking in extracts of their own and others hits seemingly randomly, with lots of riffing in between. I'm sure there's a pre-Neu motorik moment at one point but I'll have to listen to it again. There's a 1971 concert on YouTube that shows their onstage demeaner at this time was almost punk in its surliness, which fits well with the way they treat some of their back catalogue. Anyway, they shouldn't be dismissed so easily).

Bee Gees - Trafalgar

Unsung Forum Index