Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 February 2021 CE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2021, 04:43
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 February 2021 CE
Feb 21, 2021, 04:09
Tears for Fears - Peel Session 14 August 1982 (aired 1 September 1982)

Tears for Fears - The Hurting

The Guess Who - Canned Wheat

The Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul / Artificial Paradise

Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo

STEVEN WILSON - THE FUTURE BITES

STEVEN WILSON - THE B-SIDES COLLECTION

Jethro Tull - Stormwatch (Steven Wilson Remix)

The Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer

Autechre - Plus

Autechre - Sign

The Weeknd - My Dear Melancholy EP

Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow

The Coral - Roots & Echoes

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man

The Vibrators - Pure Mania
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 February 2021 CE
Feb 21, 2021, 10:43
1001realapes wrote:

Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo

Hope this entire album eventually gets an official release, seeing as only half of the album versions are on the Jewel Box, 5 being demo versions and 1 not included in any form at all. Also what happened to the epic strings heard on the acetate fragment of 'Nina (You're My Woman)'? In the meantime we still have to rely on the bootlegs to fill the gaps, although someone has made a good job of designing a cover on this blog:

http://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/11/elton-john-regimental-sgt-zippo-1968.html
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2021, 11:09
Feb 21, 2021, 11:07
The Lurkers ‘God’s Lonely Men’ - dreary sophomore album by Uxbridge’s answer to the Ramones;
Lol Coxhill & Steve Miller ‘Miller/Coxhill Coxhill/Miller’ - fascinating Canterbury Scene side-road by two fine musicians, sadly no longer with us;
Kevin Ayers ‘Joy Of A Toy’ - another lost Canterbury legend in a masterpiece of indefinable magic;
Daryl Hall ‘Sacred Songs’ - Crimson-eyed soul (geddit?);
Rush ‘Test For Echo’ - continuing my belated quest through Rush’s post-80s albums, this is another great discovery. Much as I generally rated Rush’s prog phase, it’s with shorter songs like these that they really shine. Masters of heaviness and lyricism spontaneously;
Bruce Springsteen ‘Western Stars’ - when I played this on my daily walk, it seemed to lock into my lonely psych and, almost spiritually, lift my spirits. No real reason why it was this particular album (fine as it is), but just one of those invaluable moments when music confirms itself as my one constant companion and truest comfort. May I die before I go deaf;
U-Roy ‘Rasta Ambassador’ - the late toasting supremo at his best. Features some spine-wrenching subterranean bass from Robbie Shakespeare;
Can ‘Tago Mago’ - 50 years old, but 100 years ahead of its time. Jeez, is this class or what? Oh Yeah;
John Illsley ‘Glass’ - very 80s, a bit bland in places, but not without its very well played charm;
REO Speedwagon ‘Hi Infidelity’ - uncool in the extreme, fun in the extremer. Oh to be twenty again;
REO Speedwagon ‘Good Trouble’ - how do you follow up a multi-million selling pop/rock gem? With more of the same, of course. Shame it didn’t do as well commercially, because it’s (well, almost) as good as ‘Hi Infidelity’. Gary Richrath RIP;
Frank Zappa ‘Apostrophe’ - watch out where the huskies go...;
The Moody Blues ‘This Is The Moody Blues’ - earliest and best compilation of the classic line-up;
The Moody Blues ‘To Our Children’s Children’s Children’ - midway through the Moodies’ amazingly productive and inventive ‘67-‘72 phase, this demonstrates a strong songwriting prowess across the whole band. And was there ever a finer Mellotron exponent than Mike Pinder?
The Moody Blues ‘Every Good Boy Deserves Favour’ - as above;
Julian Cope ‘World Shut Your Mouth’ - the Drude’s debut LP under his own name has endured better than most 1984 releases, and contains some precious baroque moments courtesy of Jill St John’s lovely oboe. Who doesn’t adore ‘Lunatic and Fire Pistol’?
Queen ‘Live At The Rainbow 1974’ - watched this ace gig on Sky Arts yesterday, caught just before fame ruined ‘em;
Keith Jarrett ‘The Koln Concert’ - Jarrett’s most famous LP is a little overrated for me (I prefer most of his other 70s solo recordings) but is still an absorbing listen, especially the brief, concluding Part IIc which is as lovely a tune as I’ve ever heard, improvised or not;
Bach: Goldberg Variations (Christophe Rousset) - beautiful rendition of Bach’s masterpiece, played on a 1751 harpsichord;
Mozart: Piano Sonata in C minor, K 457 (Alfred Brendel) - authoritative playing as ever from Brendel, but I found this a little routine to be honest;
Mozart: Flute & Harp Concerto, K 299 (Tripp/Jellinek/VPO/Karl Munchinger) - one of my desert island concertos in its best recording;
Vorisek: Symphony in D (SCO/Sir Charles Mackerras) - charming sole symphony by a lesser-known Czech composer, well performed;
Beethoven: Symphony no.4 (Staatskapelle Berlin/Otmar Suitner) - measured early digital recording of one of Beethoven’s most lyrical utterances;
Schubert: Symphony no.9 (Chicago SO/Carlo Maria Giulini) - Schubert’s sublime ‘Great C Major’ under the civilised baton of Italy’s most aristocratic maestro.

Keep safe all. Dave x
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

Feb 21, 2021, 11:10
Be-Bop Deluxe - Modern Music / Live! In The Air Age / Drastic Plastic

The Buzzcocks - Another Music In A Different Kitchen / A Different Kind Of Tension

The Cosmic Jokers - S/t

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model / Armed Forces

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way / Bitches Brew

Devo: Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land / Apollo / Life On The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) / Another Day On Earth

Flied Egg - Good Bye

The Flies - Complete Collection 1965-1968

Flower Travellin' Band - Challenge (as Yuya Uchida & The Flowers) / Made In Japan

Robert Fripp - Music For Quiet Moments Parts 22-36

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Goat - Commune / World Music

P J Harvey - Dry / Rid Of Me / 4 Track Demos / To Bring You My Love

Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked / Ole! Tarantula (with the Venus 3) / Goodnight Oslo (with the Venus 3)

The Incredible String Band - The Relics Of ...

Bert Jansch - Anthology (Transatlantic LP)

Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark / For The Roses / Hissing Of The Summer Lawns

Roxy Music - S/t / For Your Pleasure

Pharoah Sanders - Pharoah's First / Deaf Dumb Blind (Summun Bukmun Umyun) / Black Unity / Elevation / The Creator Has A Master Plan
keith a
9570 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2021, 21:31
Feb 21, 2021, 18:55
Haunted Head – Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds
I like this a lot. Su Su is a corker!

London Social Degree – Dana Gillespie
CD consisting of her first two albums, Foolish Seasons and Box Of Surprises, both from the late 1960's. I hadn't heard her 60's stuff before, but thought I would take a bit of a punt on this and on the strength of one listen I have to say it exceeds all expectations. 'Baroque pop meets out-there orchestrations, slyly sweet chanson-type numbers with subtly mystical overtones', says the sleevenotes. Mama's & Papa's without the harmonies at times, I say.

Superheroes, Ghostvillains & Stuff – The Notwist
Vertigo Days – The Notwist
The live one and the recent one, which is sounding very impressive on early listens.

Ancient Harmonies – Augustus Pablo
2CD set consisting of four LP's...Rising Sun, Rockers Comes East, One Step Dub, and Blowing With The Wind.

Interzone – The Vacant Lots
I really like these and this, their most recent album, is hugely enjoyable with Into The Depths being a bit of a fave of mine.

Wire Related
Duke Of York - Hox
Sleepless – Immersion
Red Barked Tree - Wire

Also...

Isles – Bicep

Shepherd In A Sheepskin Vest – Bill Callahan

Sixteen Oceans – Four Tet

All Thoughts Fly – Anna Von Hausswolff

Lola Vs Powerman – The Kinks

Straight Songs Of Sorrow – Mark Lanegan

Katzenmusik – Michael Rother

Transits – Slomo

Guarda In Alto – Sun Araw

The Road: Part 2/ Lost Highway - UNKLE

What's Your Pleasure – Jessie Ware

Deutsche Elektronische Muzik 4 – V/A
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2021, 22:40
Feb 21, 2021, 22:39
Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around

The Pentangle - The Pentangle

Status Quo - Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon
Status Quo - Dog Of Two Heads
Status Quo - Pye Singles Collection

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

The Kinks - Low Budget
The Kinks - Give The People What They Want
The Kinks - State Of Confusion
The Kinks - Word Of Mouth

Vangelis - China
Vangelis - Opera Suavage
Jon & Vangelis - Short Stories

David Bowie - Scary Monsters
David Bowie - Let's Dance
David Bowie - Tonight
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down

The Shangri-La's - Myrmidons Of Melodrama

The Everly Brothers - Dream: The Best Of...
The Everly Brothers - Warner Archives
The Everly Brothers - The Everly Brothers Show (weird how The Everlys have been cited as influences by most of the major acts of the 1960s yet tend to get sidelined in official histories of rock'n'roll, probably because they come from a country rather than blues background - understandable seeing as the black artists were initially sidelined themselves while the beat groups rode high on what they'd learned from them - but those close harmonies were an important part of the mix, and it is easy to forget how radical the arrangements were on some of those hits. Copey himself referred to the Everlys as 'natural wetnicks' but take a listen to their thrilling arrangement of the old 1930s standard 'Temptation' with totally out there female harmonies added to the mix, or the percussive overdrive on 'Muskrat'. Apparently Don was the creative genius behind these inspired productions, something I only just learned. Even 'Walk Right Back', which Cope described as 'stillborn fare' has an irresistable bounce, and Neil Young obviously liked it enough to nick the acoustic guitar riff for 'Harvest Moon'. Live album 'The Everly Brothers Show' suggests that in 1970 they hadn't kicked their amphetamine habit of the early 60s as several of the hits are taken at breakneck speed. Side 2 is entirely taken up with an 18 minute jam taking in extracts of their own and others hits seemingly randomly, with lots of riffing in between. I'm sure there's a pre-Neu motorik moment at one point but I'll have to listen to it again. There's a 1971 concert on YouTube that shows their onstage demeaner at this time was almost punk in its surliness, which fits well with the way they treat some of their back catalogue. Anyway, they shouldn't be dismissed so easily).

Bee Gees - Trafalgar
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 22, 2021, 06:44
Mike Oldfield - QE2
Mike Oldfield - Crises
Darkthrone - Old Star
Alkerdeel - Slonk
Fogweaver - Fogweaver
Voormithadreth - The Quest of Iranon
Necros Christos - Doom Of The Occult
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
The Nightingales - In The Good Old Country Way
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Edited Feb 22, 2021, 08:43
Feb 22, 2021, 08:38
Finally got around to opening and having a mess with my Xmas pressie, an Uno synth this week. What a fab piece of kit, esp if you like arpeggiating. Bargs for £109! May get a craft Synth 2.0 next, as they do unnatural things to waveforms and make mad noises. Anyway, tunes....

V/A - Berlin Wall Of Sound
Was rewatching 'Deutschland '83' series this week, and was ling the tunes all over again, so dug this out. Also watched a nice docu bout Connie Plank for the same reasons.

Gabor Szabo - 1969 and Bacchanal
The original Hungarian gypsy jazz dude plays some neat covers, esp his version of Donnovan's 'Three King Fishers. My Bro in law bought me 'Dreams' fer Xmas several years ago and I was hooked from there. Sounds to me like Grails nicked some of his guitar sounds too. 3 Fishers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XvjqXuGH3Y

Stephen Mallinder - Pow Wow expanded reissue
Deffo worth a pick up if you love the Cabs mutant dub/funk/postpunk era. This is expanded to include all his early solo work too, really enjoying it all over again. Esp. love that 'Hula/23 Skiddoo' bass sound that was all over the place at this period, that fer reasons I never understand, still kinda makes me feel paranoid and claustrophobic. https://stephenmallinder1.bandcamp.com/album/pow-wow

Jennifer Touch - Behind The Wall
Intelligent Synth pop, with some catchy tunes and odd detuned tones which will always catch my ear. Love it!
https://jennifertouch.bandcamp.com/album/behind-the-wall

Martin Gore - The Third Chimpanzee EP
Much to enjoy in this too short release. Esp. if you enjoyed his VCMG album with Vince Clarke. https://martingore.bandcamp.com/album/the-third-chimpanzee-e-p

Michael Rother : Flammende Herzen
From the recent 5 CD Solo release. Not even half way through these records and loving almost everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTf8mznnIw

Mort Garson - Lucifer - Black Mass
If you're familiar with Mort Garson's Moog odysseys then you know what you're in for. Though this deffo has more of a dark tone to the usual sweeps and bloops. Worth it for 'Solomon's Ring' alone ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZFyd9cph6Y&list=PL-HabKZ5Ht3kZLlNYF-xjx4PeLUlBlf-x

Parlour Walls - Heavy Tongue
https://parlorwalls.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-tongue

Peaking Lights - Sea Of Sand EP
https://peakinglights.bandcamp.com/album/sea-of-sand

Population II - ‘A La O Terre’
https://louderthanwar.com/population-ii-a-la-o-terre-album-review/
https://population2.bandcamp.com/album/la-terre

Seasurfer - Zombies
https://reptilemusic.bandcamp.com/album/seasurfer-zombies-double-album

The Green Child - Shimmering Bassett
https://thegreenchild.bandcamp.com/album/shimmering-basset

The Vacant Lots - Damage Control
Esp. love the track 'Funeral Party', V Sonic Boom/Spacemen 3 influenced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aK_mL3AU0U

Robert Lloyd - King Rocker movie is still up on Sky Arts if you feel like a watch. Enjoyed it on the whole, nice to be reminded of loads of lost dives of Brum where we used to watch gigs in my youth.

That's about it. Keep Well y'all!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 22, 2021, 13:15
Heart - Little Queen. Has Led Zep 3 type flourishes. Think Fitter recommended it and I don't mind it

The Heads - Relaxing with...

Hal Cruttenden - Tough Luvvie (live)

Headless Heroes - The Silence of Love. Some nice covers with the likes of JAMC and Jackson Browne (yes it is blues run the game!)

The Headhunters - Survival of the fittest

A few albums I would file under Meh:

Haunted Disco - Enter through the exit

Hash Redactor - Drecksound

Have a nice life - Deathconsciousness

Back to the good stuff:

Harmonia - Musik von harmonia

Hans Zimmer - Interstellar - Inception

Nick Cave and - Kicking Against the Pricks

Leftfield - Leftism. Still sounding great. Found myself listening to the tracks that I have overlooked before and plenty to be had from those tracks too

King Biscuit Time - Black Gold. Steve Mason's first solo outing

Sam Lee - The Old Wow

King Tubby - Essential Dub

Kernuyck - Caos

Lisa Knapp - Hidden Seam

Cult of Dom Keller - Goodbye to the light
Unsung Forum Index