Musick to play in the dark review

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Musick to play in the dark review
Dec 03, 2020, 13:27
Very favourable one from pitchfork. I'm thinking particularly garerama and Monganaut. Good to see it get its dues

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/coil-musick-to-play-in-the-dark/
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Re: Musick to play in the dark review
Dec 04, 2020, 02:55
Nice review. Was listening to it only last night. The album is getting a re-release/remaster tomorrow on Dais records, CD or double vinyl, black and various colours. Well worth picking up a copy if you like to own physical media. Original editions are silly money now. Guess vol.2 will be in the pipeline in the not too distant future. Deffo two of my Fav later Coil albums
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

Dec 04, 2020, 21:10
Yes, nice review. Two great albums. Great the first is available again, but crikey the vinyl release has 7 versions of this new Dias release up on Discogs in all different colours and shades - I can see the Ebay cash cows investing in these ... Might get a copy of the 1st - have the 2nd on cd, so no doubt just get the 1st on cd as it is not an album to change sides three times to. Just to sit/ lie back in the dark with "Do not disturb" for an hour or so. Love Rose McDowall's vocals on the 2nd one. She certainly got around in the 80s and 90s with Coil, Current 93, PTV and Death In June. Defo recommend getting a physical copy while you can.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 07, 2020, 18:33
Ordered a CD version now. A worthy addition to my collection
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

Dec 07, 2020, 20:19
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Ordered a CD version now. A worthy addition to my collection

You should not be disappointed!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Edited Dec 12, 2020, 00:07
Dec 11, 2020, 22:59
My CD copy arrived this morning. Nice edition. Cover has nice embossing on band name and title, there's a nice varnish spot on the moon too. Slightly different artwork to original Graal editions, and the sleeve is a card gatefold rather than digipack, though the inside of gatefold replicates the original, albeit in reverse. Track 1 Johnn's vocals are much clearer and easier to hear. Track 2, background and 'unheard' elements are brought forward in the mix. Track 3 Red Queen sounds pretty much the same as Graal edition, except for more pronounced intro parts. Track 4 ditto, not much added/subtracted. Full CD length is 59.53 rather than Graal edition 60.00. CD itself has trees printed on rather than moon pic. Tracks 5 and 6 another enhanced/cleaned up intro, with the odd background elements brought out in the mix a little more. Fortunately, it doesn't mess with the original too much, just clears up a few odds and ends. Meant to say, the Dais Records edition of Timemachines CD is still available too for regular CD prices in some places, though that may change with the recent Musick To Play... re-issue I guess, I know you mentioned you liked the recording.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 16:55
Monganaut wrote:
Meant to say, the Dais Records edition of Timemachines CD is still available too for regular CD prices in some places, though that may change with the recent Musick To Play... re-issue I guess, I know you mentioned you liked the recording.

Thanks for the consideration, my good man! Will look into it. Was holding back on replying to you as i've been buying a fair bit relatively speaking, recently - and am a tightwad!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 17:44
I'm a bit of a tightwad too, pleased to meet ya :) We gotta stick together in these testing times, what with all that profligate spending going on at the mo and all that !
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 21:46
In my favour, I did have a mooch around but didn't seem available or cheap. When I was looking on the Dais website for Musick to play... there was a link to places you could source it in the uk and I checked them out to no avail for the timemachines release - shops like norman records, boomkat, drift, piccadilly and bleep.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Dec 16, 2020, 07:28
Not really on-topic, but when I saw this thread title I thought it was going to be a list thread and was intrigued to find out what the 'dark review' was.

That said, the notion of a dark review is intriguing. Are we living in/through the dark review?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index