Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 October 2020 CE

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 October 2020
Oct 21, 2020, 10:07
Fitter Stoke wrote:

David Sylvian ‘Blemish’ - Mr Batt’s career high (IMHO of course) sees the musical abstraction and self-alienation of ‘Ghosts’ taken to extreme levels. What could be just another break-up album is here delivered in a completely unique and personal way, devoid of conventional chord sequences or anything more complex than a pulse rhythm (itself apparent on only a couple of tracks). Sylvian gently intones his near-perfect voice over sparse, obtuse and fragmented guitar lines (courtesy of avant-garde masters Derek Bailey and Christian Fennesz) and achieves true emotional catharsis without a hint of frenzy; in fact, the album rarely budges from a steady adagio or middling dynamics. Like late period Scott Walker, this is a tough nut to crack but, given due concentration, rewards immensely. In fact, this may just be my favourite album so far this century, as well as the best confessional epic since Peter Hammill’s ‘Over’. Yes, I really think it’s that good;

I didn't buy a lot of Japan, but loved Tin Drum, etc, but for some reason I have never bought a solo DS record then 'suddenly' (30 odd years later!) there's seemingly millions of them and it's hard to know where to start. I've been thinking of Japan quite a bit of late, Ghosts popping into my head constantly, Quiet Life coming on the radio, etc so maybe now is the time to dip my toes a little. Anyway, thanks for the above review.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index