13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Re: Elevators Re-issues on CD...
Mar 16, 2020, 21:06
Zariadris wrote:
Hey garerama and Seth Man!

On your sage advice I ordered all three Charley editions...they came with a free rip to tide me over till the discs finally reach me. So far I've been exploring EE in both mixes and I'm floored all over again (yes, pun intended).

Thank you both again for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Two more questions:

I notice on the rip - both downloaded and streaming - that there are a few digital glitches at the end of the stereo version of Postures on disc two of EE. I'm assuming this is not on the actual CD? I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I'd be curious to know if you can confirm that.

Second, I'd love to know both of your opinions - and anyone else's of course - on which mixes of these albums you prefer - Mono or Stereo?

Peace.

Z

Hey, Zariadris --
Hope the glitch is just on the rip. It probably is, as Charly UK haven't spared expense with their Elevators release schedule in the past decade or so.
Haven't heard the specific releases you've mentioned, so I can't really comment any further.

I owned:
-a Greek pirate pressing in the mid-eighties of PSYCHEDELIC SOUNDS (stereo)
-a 1979 reissue on Radar of EASTER EVERYWHERE (stereo)
-a mid-to-late 80s US pirate pressing of BULL OF THE WOODS (stereo)

I finally got around to scoring all IA originals of the 3 studio Elevators LPs by 1990. Final analysis:
The first Elevators was to my ears the best produced of the 3 LPs and sounds great in either mono or stereo. Even the pirated copy I had. The other two don't have the sonic strengths but the music always outweighed how it sounded. The radar of EASTER EVERYWHERE had a bad tear on the cover which went through the cover, inner sleeve and onto the record itself, causing "Slip Inside This House" to irreparably skip right after "from the egg into the flower," which always made me wince.

Consequently, I was wincing a lot throughout the mid-to-late eighties...! It always sounded great, though.

Come to think of it, I don't think I can answer your question because I don't think I have a strong preference for either. They both sound comparable, and there weren't any real stand out differences between the mono and stereo mixes -- as was the case with SGT PEPPER'S, THE WHO SELL OUT, PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN, ARE YOU EXPERIENCED, etc (such as different guitar parts, alternative vocals, etc.)

Hey, if it's playing, it always sounds great. Go for it.

Unsung Forum Index