Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Mar 12, 2020, 17:32
Elevators Re-issues on CD...
Mar 12, 2020, 17:32
Dear Heads,

I could use your help. I want to replace my old cds of the first three 13th Floor Elevators lps which I've had for years as dodgy Russian boots. I always dug the ancient weathered sound of those recordings - never put me off - and all three are essential albums in my life.

Every time I think to go and and buy a new set, I'm confronted with so many versions that I tend to just give up and keep "Livin' On' with what I got.

I notice on Amazon that Charlie has reissued these as double disks with both the mono and stereo mixes, and some extra cuts, but I also see various other labels with reissues with more expanded or different extras and if you've noticed, you never can tell which reviews on Amazon refer to which reissue.

Of all the versions, which might you recommend? I'm less interested in extra tracks than I am in the best sounding remaster - though the Charlie version of Bull of the Woods looks amazing with the extended version of Livin' On, etc. I assume that's the one to go for for that album, but what about Psychedelic Sounds and Easter Everywhere?

Thanks...
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Re: Elevators Re-issues on CD...
Mar 12, 2020, 18:40
Zariadris wrote:
Dear Heads,

I could use your help. I want to replace my old cds of the first three 13th Floor Elevators lps which I've had for years as dodgy Russian boots. I always dug the ancient weathered sound of those recordings - never put me off - and all three are essential albums in my life.

Every time I think to go and and buy a new set, I'm confronted with so many versions that I tend to just give up and keep "Livin' On' with what I got.

I notice on Amazon that Charlie has reissued these as double disks with both the mono and stereo mixes, and some extra cuts, but I also see various other labels with reissues with more expanded or different extras and if you've noticed, you never can tell which reviews on Amazon refer to which reissue.

Of all the versions, which might you recommend? I'm less interested in extra tracks than I am in the best sounding remaster - though the Charlie version of Bull of the Woods looks amazing with the extended version of Livin' On, etc. I assume that's the one to go for for that album, but what about Psychedelic Sounds and Easter Everywhere?

Thanks...

Zariadris,
The 2xCDs of PSYCHEDELIC SOUNDS (Charly 2010), EASTER EVERYWHERE (Charly 2010), and BULL OF THE WOODS (Charly 2011) are the best sounding reissues I've heard yet on CD.

Soundwise, I'm fairly certain they're comparable/the same as the versions on the Charly/International Artists box set, SIGN OF THE 3 EYED MEN (2009), and those all sounded fabulous.
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

Mar 12, 2020, 19:03
The Seth Man wrote:
Zariadris wrote:
Dear Heads,

Thanks...

Zariadris,
The 2xCDs of PSYCHEDELIC SOUNDS (Charly 2010), EASTER EVERYWHERE (Charly 2010), and BULL OF THE WOODS (Charly 2011) are the best sounding reissues I've heard yet on CD.

Soundwise, I'm fairly certain they're comparable/the same as the versions on the Charly/International Artists box set, SIGN OF THE 3 EYED MEN (2009), and those all sounded fabulous.

Nothing to compare to but ditto these Charly ones sound great - not always from original masters but I think these will be well gone. Good to have the first two in mono and stereo. There is a singles compilation too which is great. Packaging is top notch too on all them. Charly also did the first two Red Crayola/ Krayola albums around the same time and packaging which sound great. I do have a grudge against Charly as apparently they have been ripping Gong off for years and releasing stuff without consent with false claims.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Mar 12, 2020, 19:11
The Seth Man to the rescue!

Dude, I'm really grateful for your reply, which I take as the definitive word. Wish I'd asked earlier. Charley it is.

Thank you man.

In closing, some quite prophetic lines to tide us through these troubled times:

"One-eyed men aren't really reigning
They just march in place until
Two-eyed men with mystery training
Finally feel the power fill
Three-eyed men are not complaining
They can yo-yo where they will
They slip inside this house as they pass by
Don't pass it by."

Take care of yourself.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Mar 12, 2020, 19:20
Thanks Garema! I'm much obliged to you. Very helpful indeed. I've seen the singles compilation and will pick that up too. Always loved the sound of You're Gonna Miss Me on Nuggets. Do you recommend any of the live releases?

Z
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

Mar 12, 2020, 20:13
I haven't acquired the live cd Charly released so can't comment on that one first hand. I did here they were obviously out of it when it was recorded - so should be entertaining. I did have the live album that was released a way back when (was it just called 13th Floor Elevators Live I can't remember) - it was not really live but studio out-takes with canned applause! I got rid of that one ...

Happy elevating! Gary
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Mar 12, 2020, 21:32
No problem, Zariadris! Hope it helps.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2020, 09:20
Mar 15, 2020, 09:13
Hey garerama and Seth Man!

On your sage advice I ordered all three Charley editions...they came with a free rip to tide me over till the discs finally reach me. So far I've been exploring EE in both mixes and I'm floored all over again (yes, pun intended).

Thank you both again for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Two more questions:

I notice on the rip - both downloaded and streaming - that there are a few digital glitches at the end of the stereo version of Postures on disc two of EE. I'm assuming this is not on the actual CD? I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I'd be curious to know if you can confirm that.

Second, I'd love to know both of your opinions - and anyone else's of course - on which mixes of these albums you prefer - Mono or Stereo?

Peace.

Z
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

Mar 15, 2020, 21:23
Zariadris wrote:
Hey garerama and Seth Man!

On your sage advice I ordered all three Charley editions...they came with a free rip to tide me over till the discs finally reach me. So far I've been exploring EE in both mixes and I'm floored all over again (yes, pun intended).

Thank you both again for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Two more questions:

I notice on the rip - both downloaded and streaming - that there are a few digital glitches at the end of the stereo version of Postures on disc two of EE. I'm assuming this is not on the actual CD? I guess I'll find out soon enough, but I'd be curious to know if you can confirm that.

Second, I'd love to know both of your opinions - and anyone else's of course - on which mixes of these albums you prefer - Mono or Stereo?

Peace.

Z

No probs - glad you are getting them.

I can't say I have noticed digital glitches but then again my hearing ain't like it used to be...

Don't think I really have a preference over mono or stereo with these two. The stereo from recollection is not as OTT as a lot of psych albums of the time and doesn't suffer from mad panning (drums to the right etc ...). Of late I listen to most digital stuff in headphones so would have a bias to stereo mixes for separation etc... I am at a stage where I usually listen to vinyl through a very modest hi-fi set up at home and cds when out and about (or at work) - still use a portable discman! I don't have any Elevators on vinyl yet) and I most likely to listen mono through the hi-fi.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Mar 16, 2020, 15:03
Mar 16, 2020, 15:02
If those recent 2010 reissues had included the remixed stereo versions only I'd have more than been happy as all previous versions (especially on Charly were badly mastered, muddy and inferior in many other ways). The 2010 stereo mixes are much sharper and crunchier. (I've only ever owned reissued Elevators albums and always put the muddy sound down to the primitiveness of the recording, not knowing it was partially due to the prior bad sources for remastering)
However, the mono versions are a revelation - especially hearing albums I have been familiar with for around 20 years almost anew. The 2010 Easter Everywhere mono edition is astonishing to be honest (and given it was transferred from a vinyl source is even more impressive, because it certainly doesn't sound like it). Yes, you can finally hear the 'thunder effect' on Earthquake!
Edit - so in answer to your question, the mono versions of those issues are definitely my go to versions.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index