Unsung Forum »
Drifting away from Cope and trying to get back

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: Drifting away from Cope and trying to get back
Jan 19, 2020, 15:22
Cope's a different guy than he was during the time of the Trilogy. I'm sure we're all quite different, too. It's not reasonable to expect that a new Cope release will affect us the same way as his albums did from the early '90s. Maybe we will get flashes that remind us of that special time, but mostly, it's a whole new thing. If you dig it, or parts of it, cool. If not, that's fine, too. There shouldn't be a pressure to "get" his new albums out of a sense of loyalty to an irretrievable past.

For me, classic Cope was the period of Droolian through Interpreter, followed by another great stretch of You Gotta Problem through Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse. Everything else was hit or miss, though most of what I've heard (I've skipped a lot of the Dope stuff) has enough to warrant a few dedicated listens. And there's been some unexpected hits, too, like Neon Sardinia, Drunken Songs, and John Balance Enters Valhalla. Haven't yet made up my mind regarding the new release, though I've been enjoying my spins so far.

Some Cope releases also improve greatly over time, like Rome Wasn't Burned in a Day.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index