Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Remastered Autogeddon in a fancy box with bonus stuff
Mar 02, 2019, 16:37
Howburn Digger wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:

"Need" is a highly relative term. Products exist and we buy them based on our wants. No one can truly judge anyone's frivolity over their own.

I wasn't judging anyone. Truly or untruly.

I just think we need to be chopping down fewer trees and creating less future landfill. We all have this stuff. If not- get a copy from eBay for pennies and blag the "rare" stuff from anyone on here.

The school I work in has recently taken to issuing every diner's salad, sauce, coleslaw, carrots and sundry vegetable accompaniments in seperate, individual plastic containers. A colleague arrived with a tray bearing her chips and beef stew (in a polystyrene box) alongside FOUR additional plastic containers (each the size of your fist) bearing her sundry healthy accompaniments. All totally un-necessary. Not needed. Could ALL have been put on a washable plate with a washable spoon. All served and eaten with disposable plastic cutlery.

Part of me died seeing that too. I didn't judge her for the lunch she had bought. It cost her less than £2. What a bargain for us all. The plastic is here forever and no-one charges the canteen a penny for generating it and not dealing with its disposal.

I guess I don't see physical music releases as disposable. I don't love excess packaging on products, and I think the whole recycling thing is just an excuse to waste even more energy in the production chain. What I love about music products is the endless reselling that occurs. Maybe some people are throwing their cds out, but more greenhouse gases are produced from endless banks of servers hosting digital streaming platforms than the off gases from decaying cds.

Any way you slice it, the products industry isn't going away, but ultimately the consumer makes the choice of what to purchase. I certainly get mad at all the crappy RSD product being churned out twice a year, but all I can do is not buy it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index