Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 March 2018
Mar 04, 2018, 17:49
Main replays for this week:

Jean-Michel Jarre - Zoolook

During my pre-teen obsession with M. Jarre's bouncy electronics I never had Zoolook for some reason, but it was reissued a couple of years ago and I finally caught up. It's actually pretty great, the opening five minutes could have come from Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack, there's some neat electro (Zoolookologie is practically Bobby O), some artiness a la Laurie Anderson and pieces constructed from lots of little cut-up samples.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Electronica 1: The Time Machine

His return to the fray from 2015, all collaborations. At 16 tracks it's probably 6 or 7 tracks too long, but there are some great songs here (yes, it's got actual singing on much of it). I particularly like the Vince Clarke "Automatic" and the stuff with Tangerine Dream, Moby, John Carpenter and Fuck Buttons is rewarding.

John Foxx - London Overgrown

On the subject of pioneering purveyors of electronics, this is a beautiful 2015 ambient album from Mr Foxx. Beatless, vocal-less, in places quite close to the stuff he did on the Cathedral Oceans albums and overall a pleasure to get absorbed in.

Olden Yolk - Olden Yolk

New York sort-of folk indie. Which is damning it before you've heard it, but I really like this record. Here's a sample: https://youtu.be/0yelLYGvQ7g

Lowtide - Southern Mind
Another new discovery for me, apparently their second album. Australian Shoegaze like it's 1991, also really liking this. https://youtu.be/JB0cVKFuczo

Otherwise:

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe

Japan - Tin Drum
Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap

Saloon - "Free Fall" 7"

Lonelady - Nerve Up
Jah Wobble & Julie Campbell - Psychic Life
Lonelady - Hinterland
Odd Beholder - Lighting
Odd Beholder - Atlas
LOMA - Shivani OST