Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 February 2018
Feb 18, 2018, 22:28
Monganaut wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Clinic - Funf

Not played that in years, though must admit, even though it's a collection of B-sides etc, I recall it as a pretty weak selection of Clinic records. The only other one I dislike as much is Winchester Cathedral, where for me, they seemed to loose their 'Clinic-ey' mojo somewhat. Pretty much everything else by them I love, esp Walking With Thee, Visitations and Do It.

I've been playing all their albums lately, and Winchester Cathedral is definitely where the law of diminishing returns sets in. I love their strictly defined limitations, but there's only so many times you can dress up the same song in a new way. Funf is scrappy but very enjoyable, but they definitely introduced some good new ingredients to the later albums. What they really need to put out now is a Peel Sessions collection, especially as the first song I heard and loved by them - 'Piggy' - never made it onto any of their albums. In fact a chronological singles collection would also make an amazing listen, especially the incredible run of singles from IPC Sub-Editors to Walking With Thee. Every one of those is an absolute cracker.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index