Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 February 2018

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 February 2018
Feb 18, 2018, 20:30
After listening to last year's House of Mythology releases by Zu and Teleplasmiste, and reading the Slomo Superindividuals liner notes about the consistency of the label I purchased another couple of HoM releases:

Laniakea - A Pot Of Powdered Nettles. Collaboration between Daniel O'Sullivan (Ulver/Grumbling Fur) and Massimo Pupillo (Zu). Really enjoying this. Recorded at the house of Ian Johnstone (Coil Ape of Naples artist) after his death. Four extended pieces - melancholic and uplifting, ambient, melodic. Has a kind of Coil feel I guess.

The Stargazer's Assistant - Remoteness of Light. Three long pieces which veer from ambient soundscapes to heavy drone or percussion-led segments. The instrumentation makes this - percussion, synths and wind instruments (Michael York of Urthona).

New releases from the last fortnight:

Urthona - Destruction Rules. Loving this, especially the Popul Vuh feel to the flute and piano in the final track. The album title comes from a Florian Fricke quote - 'the more the spirit of destruction rules, the more it becomes necessary to turn towards the music of peace'.

Dope - Dope on Drugs. Guerrilla Grow didn't grab me, but really enjoying this, especially the two long tracks. Leave yourself behind. U-know!

Various Artists - We Out Here. Interesting album documenting the young London jazz scene. Not a compilation as such as the tracks were recording by all the artists over a few days. Some great drumming e.g. Moses Boyd, and Nubya Garcia's sax appears on multiple tracks, as well as Shabaka Hutchings' bass clarinet. Good liner notes about the scene too.

Two bargain cds (£2 each) - the two Home Normal releases of South African pianist Jason van Wyk - Attachment and Opacity. Both lovely.

Eraldo Bernocchi and Chihei Hatakeyama - Solitary Universe. Lovely ambient guitar soundscapes in beautiful packaging (comes with a photo book). Released on Aagoo Records.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index