The Fall 'Grotesque (After The Gramme)'
Kevin Coyne 'Bursting Bubbles'
Anvil 'Pounding The Pavement'
Syd Barrett 'The Madcap Laughs'
Brian Eno 'Lux'
Frank Zappa 'Apostrophe'
Henry Cow 'Unrest'
Erroll Garner 'Up In Erroll's Room'
Schubert: Early String Quartets (Melos Quartett Stuttgart)
Schubert: Early Piano Sonatas (Wilhelm Kempff)
Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 2 (NYPO/Leonard Bernstein)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 February 2018
Feb 18, 2018, 14:23
Lots of 'em this time...

James Blood Ulmer - Part Time

Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors

Kevin Coyne and Dagmar Kraus - Babble

Druse - the Way We Ache/Target Weight - a debut vinyl album from a local emo/post-hardcore group I know of (in Rochester New York). Haven't seen them live it but have seen solo shows from the guitarist Joe Clark who has done some excellent Shoegaze-inspired solo work. This album has similarly ambient guitar excursions on it and is worth a listen whether or not it's really your cup of tea. Bandcamp page: https://druse.bandcamp.com/

Elf - LA/59 - I think this is the last album from this Ithaca New York group to feature Ronnie James Dio. A much different style of band than Rainbow or Black Sabbath, a lot of Southern Rock/R&B type of material here. Produced by Roger Glover.

Echo and the Bunnymen - Never Stop

New Order - Blue Monday

Durutti Column - the Return of...

Brown Acid - the Fifth Trip

Idea Fire Company - Lost at Sea - mostly piano-based stuff from Scott Foust of XX Committee and Swill Radio...
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 14:57
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb
Groundhogs - Split
Groundhogs - Who Will Save the World? The Mighty Groundhogs

Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch
Bert Jansch - It Don't Bother Me
Bert Jansch - Jack Orion

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 3

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Focus - Focus III

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
David Bowie - Pin-Ups

Vangelis - To The Unknown Man
Vangelis - Beaubourg
Vangelis - China
Irene Papas - Odes

Justin Hayward & John Lodge - Blue Jays

Arthur Alexander - The Greatest

Larry Williams - The Fabulous

The Shangri-La's - Myrmidons Of Melodrama

Clinic - Visitations
Clinic - Funf
Clinic - Do It!

Kevin Ayers - Joy Of A Toy

The Beatles - Get Back (soniclovenoize reconstruction)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 16:46
Short list this week:

REM - Murmur
REM - Fables of the Reconstruction
The Housemartins - London 0, Hull 4
REM - Dead Letter Office
REM - Document
The Wonder Stuff - "A Wish Away" EP

John Foxx - London Overground
Minor Victories - Minor Victories
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Dope - Dope on Drugs
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2018, 18:17
Feb 18, 2018, 18:06
Allo me harties! This week or so has mostly been.....

Dope - On Drugs
Well what's to say, another great little Dope release. Dropped on the mat Thursday, and I must have had it on repeat pretty much ever since. Deffo the last track is the meat of the matter fer me.

Children of Alice - S/T
Ex Broadcast and The Focus Group continue in the vein of Witch Cults..., but minus the vocals. Not played this much since it came out last year, but really, really hit the spot this week. You can't really call it music, in the understood sense, more of a bricolage of samples and moments with 'Pagan' themes given to them by the peeps at Folklore Tapes. The sounds within, remind me of a certain time from my younger days in the early 70's, when everything shut on a Sunday, and by mid afternoon, you could develop the kind of shamanic boredom unknown to my kids. It reminds me of those super hot and sultry summer days, when you'd lie listless on the bed, not knowing what to do with yourself, curtains gently billowing in the soft breeze, with the oppresive humidity, stickiness and stillness of a coming thunderstorm making your daydreams wander to forgotten and unknown realms, while outside, fragments of the real world gently distub you from your reveries. Lovely record. It's never gonna be anyones favourite, but I'm glad I own It.
Few samples here...https://bleep.com/release/stream/78524-children-of-alice-children-of-alice

Luke Haines - Rock and Roll Animals
Another one on heavy repeat this week. I must admit this passed me by on release, but it's well crafted in the usual Haines manner. Nick Drake as a badger, Peter Perret as a wiley old fox, Nick Lowe and a wise old Gene Simmons. Songs about building model villages and sticky back plastic and string, and the journey's of the animals of the wood. Full of great lyrics and hooks, glad I picked it up.
Acoustic session...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEkLh1RADA

Coil - Astral Disaster Unfinished Musics
Probably one for the COIL completists (sadly,ME being one :).
Slightly different versions of the Prescription edition vinyl version of Astral Disaster album, and a continuation of 'The Mothership and Father Land'. The Sea Priestess develops elements of a 60's 'raga', all sitar and delay. Wouldn't sound out of place in the movie Performance tbh, plus unreleased track 'Cosmic Disaster'......Loving it. Sadly no DL or CD of this (yet), so it's vinyl or nowt.
Samples here...https://www.juno.co.uk/products/coil-astral-disaster-sessions-un-finished-musics/670058-01/

Other Stuff...

Simple Minds - Reel To Real Cacophony

Hawkwind - Warrior...

The Fall - Seminal Live/ Peel Sessions

Luke Haines - Luke Haines is Dead
Early career 3CD overview comp, packed full of versions, live and sessions, as well as all yer fav's.

Coil - Astral Disaster Prescription Edition/World Serpent Edition
Precription - The Sea Priestess - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzu5ZsP8JKg
World Serpent edition (full album)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WbloLnhkOY

Coil - Moons Milk Bonus Disc
"Could you ever swallow a boiled owl?"
Full Album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNtWVlOkedE

Coil - Live Two (Moscow)
The version of 'Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil' at this shows showcases the daffy side to the band....some of the lyrics being changed to "We like dogs, we like drugs, and we like CHEESE!!!"
Full show...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRk4OQQ3_zQ

Groovy Mudhoney docu 'I'm Now' upon Amazon prime if any of you have it, well worth a watch along with a whole bunch of cool punk rock docu's

Well that's about it. Hope you're all doing fine. My leg is STILL giving me jip, so not been up any hills, or indeed out for any walks for about 2 weeks or so. I'M GOING FRICKIN' NUTS!!!! Though on the upside, I binge watched and Luuurrrved the daffy Brittannia, even though it has Donovan's 'Hurdy Gurdy' Man as the theme. I can 't work out if that's genius or mad, but it's good to hear it sounding so good again.
Ditto 'Westworld', which had me reaching for the Ital disco album by Glass Candy - B/E/A/T/B/O/X

Keep well!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 18:13
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Clinic - Funf

Not played that in years, though must admit, even though it's a collection of B-sides etc, I recall it as a pretty weak selection of Clinic records. The only other one I dislike as much is Winchester Cathedral, where for me, they seemed to loose their 'Clinic-ey' mojo somewhat. Pretty much everything else by them I love, esp Walking With Thee, Visitations and Do It.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 19:00
Spirit - Future Games .. not played in aaaages

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call .. ditto

The Divine Comedy - Foreverland

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Alice Coltrane - The Ecstatic Music of..

..and a load of Fall round my mates as a belated wake
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 20:30
After listening to last year's House of Mythology releases by Zu and Teleplasmiste, and reading the Slomo Superindividuals liner notes about the consistency of the label I purchased another couple of HoM releases:

Laniakea - A Pot Of Powdered Nettles. Collaboration between Daniel O'Sullivan (Ulver/Grumbling Fur) and Massimo Pupillo (Zu). Really enjoying this. Recorded at the house of Ian Johnstone (Coil Ape of Naples artist) after his death. Four extended pieces - melancholic and uplifting, ambient, melodic. Has a kind of Coil feel I guess.

The Stargazer's Assistant - Remoteness of Light. Three long pieces which veer from ambient soundscapes to heavy drone or percussion-led segments. The instrumentation makes this - percussion, synths and wind instruments (Michael York of Urthona).

New releases from the last fortnight:

Urthona - Destruction Rules. Loving this, especially the Popul Vuh feel to the flute and piano in the final track. The album title comes from a Florian Fricke quote - 'the more the spirit of destruction rules, the more it becomes necessary to turn towards the music of peace'.

Dope - Dope on Drugs. Guerrilla Grow didn't grab me, but really enjoying this, especially the two long tracks. Leave yourself behind. U-know!

Various Artists - We Out Here. Interesting album documenting the young London jazz scene. Not a compilation as such as the tracks were recording by all the artists over a few days. Some great drumming e.g. Moses Boyd, and Nubya Garcia's sax appears on multiple tracks, as well as Shabaka Hutchings' bass clarinet. Good liner notes about the scene too.

Two bargain cds (£2 each) - the two Home Normal releases of South African pianist Jason van Wyk - Attachment and Opacity. Both lovely.

Eraldo Bernocchi and Chihei Hatakeyama - Solitary Universe. Lovely ambient guitar soundscapes in beautiful packaging (comes with a photo book). Released on Aagoo Records.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 21:17
Some New CD's:

Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology

Inner City - Paradise.

Found them in an actual record store! Been ages since I've brought from one of those - normally its online.

Holst - The Planets

Jowe Head - Pincer Movement

The House of Love - The Fontana album

PJ Harvey - To Bring you my love, Let England Shake and The Hope 6 Demolition Project. Good old Polly so reliably smashing

Honey - Weekend Millionaires

Tim Hecker - Virgins

Holy Sons - Decline of the West

Grails - Burning off impurities. Particularly dug this, this time around

Gong - Flying Teapot

Goldie - Journeyman. Some typical and strong goldie moments - particularly in the first half of the album from last year's release
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index