Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2018

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2018
Feb 13, 2018, 09:19
I heard Wolves in the Throne Room for the first time only last week when a mate of mine brought the CD over. I am well impressed: they have a massive, dark dark sound which really fills every part of the cranium. The whole thing comes across like a gigantic metal orchestra with amazing tunes coming through the melee. I must investigate further.

Charley Pride (what a contrast!) on the other hand, has been part of my listening life since I was a kid. My dad had a tape of his first ‘Best Of’ from 1969 and we played it regularly in the car. Pride has one of those voices that just appeals to me. In recent years I’ve checked out his 60’s and early 70’s albums via BGO’s excellent ‘4 albums on 2 CDs’ sets. The 60’s albums are uniformly good, as are those up to about ‘74 - ‘75, but things get a bit less echt-country and more MOR after that. That said, Pride’s latest album ‘Music In My Heart’ is a real return to form and quite remarkable for a man of 83. The tone of his chops has of course aged, but the artistry remains strong.

There are several good (and cheap) Charley Pride comps out there which tend to focus on his peak late 60’s - early 70’s material. I spotted a good one in HMV at the weekend called ‘Through The Years’ for just £4. I recommend you start there.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index