Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2018, 15:39
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2018
Jan 09, 2018, 13:18
Sun Ra Live At Montreux
1976 live set by free/space jazz archetype.
I think this was the 2nd set I heard by him back in the mid 80s. My brother had it around taht time. I mainly remember it for loads of drumming.
Not sure if the vinyl copy he had had teh same track breakdown as this cd does. Either that or I was just not familar with the trackks titles anyway.

Desmond Dekker Trojan best of
Sanctuary Trojan 2cd set reissued in a new sleeve. Has a great deal of great stuff on.

Tim Buckley Venice Mating Call
The recent 2cd live set of live material from 1969 in the troubadour. One of these sets has a lot of the 2nd side of Lorca on in its original recorded form. I think Lorca removed drumming. & I only recently heard was recorded live.
There is some overlap with the 1cd set that just came out too, Greetings From West Hollywood.

Various Epitath For a Legend
International Artists mop up compilation lp I think a bit extended asa 2cd.
Fopp were selling various bits and pieces of the IA and related stuff for £5 while i was in London.
I was also looking at the Lost & Found lp which I'd been meaning to pick up since reading Gathering of Th eTribes.
Also not sure if teh 13th Floor Elevators live 2cd thing that's out in the same series is all on the Sign iof th e3 Eyed Men box. Do know that Stacy Sutherland was struggling with a bad acid trip throughout that concert.

Art Supernatural Fairy Tales
1967 psychedelic lp from the soon to be Spooky tooth. Nice & crunchy but if i knew then what I know now I would have picked up the Bobak Jones, Malone Motherlight cd taht I was holding at the time and waited and bought this at FOPP for £2 cheaper. & then I would have that Motherlight lp.
Ah well.
THis is pretty good in its own right.

Spooky tooth IT's All About
First lp by the renamed band.
Also pretty good hard rocking stuff including some ok covers.

Various Jazzactuel
3cd set by French avant garde label of material from various releases on the label.
FOPP Had it for £7. Has some good stuff on plus some more difficult listening.
avant jazz and weird proggy stuff.

Four Tops Still Waters run Deep
1970 lp by Motown vocal quartet.

Big Youth Screaming Target
famous set by reggae toaster from 1972.

Ut the Out E.ps
The 2 eps by New York formed, LOndon based female trio finally available on a reactivated Out label.
I really like Sally Young's melodicism. Jacqui Ham's styuff is also pretty good. I really struggle with Nina canal's stuff which I always found a bit too atonal.

Various Mojo Presents 2000 Light Years From Home
Another fine psychedelic set from Mojo this time I think looking at the 1968 stuff as we're just moving into th e50th anniversary of taht year

Various Looking at The Signs in the Sky 1968
Another great compilation from Grapefruit label.
Some well known names represented by not so well known tracks and some lesser known bands. hangs together pretty well as this label's stuff tends to.

Rangda False Flag
Supergroup of sorts consisting of guitarists from Sun City Girls and 6 organs of Admittance plus well known drummer Chris Corsano.

Joy Division Closer
the 2cd version of Manchester Post-punk archetypes 2nd lp.
I also just read Bernard Sumner's memoir Chapter and Verse which was really interesting.
I like the spaciousness and resonance of the sound on this lp.

Kraftwerk Man machine
recentish remaster of 1978 classic.
I like the sound on this release. Must get around to picking up the 2 lps that came before it from this remaster. Not sure about the lp after.
I nearly didn't buy this cos I was thinking yo needed teh german language one but glad i did now.

Porter Wagoner The Essential recordings
Primo best of
music is a lot more straightforward than the Nudie suited high pompadoured image.
He was the male country artist who helped Dolly parton become popular. I'm finding her material to be less saccharine pop or whatever than i thought it might be similar with this guy. Both do pretty gritty somewhat stripped down music.
the Byrds covered his Satisfied Mind on their 2nd lp and that song leads off this 2cd compilation

Psychedelic Jazz Smoking Tunes
some interesting choices here includes Jools and Brians take on Season Of the Witch which has always been a favourite track of mine.

Songhoy Blues Resistance
Recent African rock stuff. Found it in the Rough Trade boxinfg day sale alongside some great book stuff. Wish I had had more money at the time though.

Herbie Hancock 5 original albums.
Another Rough Trade sale find £3 for 5 of his 60s lps. Good set on Blue Note.

John Coltrane Impressions
Half live half studio set from the early 60s. I should be more familiar with his material. Should have all the Impulse and Atlantic stuff by now. Certainly the stuff with the first main quartet and preferably all the quintet stuff too. been saying that for way too long.
This has some great stuff on it anyway but not sure how essential it is compared to others.

Ethiopiques 25 1971>1975 Modern roots
Electric updates f traditional sound. Not as immediate as some of teh early volumes but pretty solid.

Art Ensemble of Chicago Actuel 3 lp set
A jackson in your House is great. This was cheap in FOPP so I grabbed it. They have a few Actual related titles in or did a couple of weeks ago.

Henry cow Freedom 1975 (can't remember which city)
The year I think of as their peak. Some nice long improvissations and guest appearances from Robert Wyatt.
Pretty fantastic.
I just read that Chris cutler had ties to tony Durant of Fuchsia fame. Hadn't heard of that before. Are there any recordings of teh pair in louise?

Tremblin bells The constant pageant
recent folk rock stuff by free jaz drummer and electric band.
Think they're something pretty great.

Grateful Dead rotterdam 1972
Has a very long Dark Star 45 odd minutes of it.
Rest is pretty great too. This was 80 minutes of a longer set.
I love tehm when they're on form between 66 and 74. probably some from the next couple of decades too but that was peak and i think they thought the Europe 72 tour was also pretty peak.

Curtis Mayfield Curtis (Rhino)
Ex Impressions singer's first solo lp. Here doubled in length with bonus tracks.
Good version of the lp.
& the lp is essential. As are all of the run of early 70s lps.

Staple Singers BeAltitude
More great early 70s soul. I need to pick up the rest of tehir music from thsi era.
Band had been active since the late 50s and had figured quite gheavily in the Human rights movement.
The early 70s stuff has great funky feel too.

Louvin Brothers The Absoloutely Essential 3cd collection
Close harmony brother duo. Nice cheap 3cd compi of a lot of their stuff.

Shirley collins lodestar
Shirley's first lp in like 30 years.
Voice maybe not what it once was but decent lp after a few listens.
I payed extra for the special edition with the booklet with linernotes by herself and Stewart lee.

various things on my walkman
& several things i checked outon Spotify most notably
Bobak Jones malone Motherlight
& Sun ra ann Aror festival sets = Wake Up Angels
& singles
& Live in Paris 1983

may come back and fill this in later.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index