Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 December 2017 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 December 2017 CE
Dec 17, 2017, 22:04
The Next Day – David Bowie
I know this will never be as influential or rated as, say, Ziggy or Low, but when it comes down to plain enjoyment (and why not!) this is top notch. Love Is Lost is one of my fave Bowie numbers.

Our Secret Ceremony – Julie's Haircut
Thanks to Monganaut for pointing me in this direction. Like it a lot after one a bit plays.

Serra (Distant Sun Remix) - Mugstar
Axis – Mugstar
Axis is absolutely top draw. One of my most played albums this year (as is last years Magnetic Seasons). So I was excited about seeing them again this last week. Anyway...being a bit of a sad bugger I choose a track of the week on a, er, weekly basis. You know, the number that I have enjoyed hearing the most over the previous days. It could be anything from any period, something I played at home, heard on the radio in the car. Anyway, the other week it was a track called La Vallee off the excellent Magnetic Seasons album. So imagine how I felt watching them in a small local venue. I'm sitting on the floor right next to the band's monitor, a matter of a few feet from the band, view totally unobscured. And they they play La Vallee. Loud, powerful and kinda beautiful. It was almost as if one of my favourite bands were playing one of my favourite songs in my living room. I knew they were going to play it - I'd been talking to the drummer before the gig and told him that it was my favourite track and he'd said "well you'll be pleased to know we're playing it tonight". Anyway, when they finished it I said - quite loudly but not shouting - "That's my favourite" and a couple of members broke their cool and smiled. Yep. A very special few minutes though to be fair the whole set was great. I saw them early this year and they were good then, but this performance was top drawer. Amazing considering they have a new lineup (the bassist and one guitarist have left and been replaced).

20 Years In A Montana Missile Silo – Pere Ubu
Latest Pere Ubu album sounding good on first listen. One song had a really good NY feel, couldn't quite put my finger on what it reminded me of - maybe Little Johnny Jewel in a very loose sense? A more direct almost punky number then followed by a track with a more disturbing feel to it. It's quite a short album - just over 30 mins - but I'll take quality over quantity any day!

Also...
Soy Dios – Dead Sea Apes

Vampyr – Death & Vanilla

Analogue Creatures Living On An Island – Immersion

American Dream - LCD Soundsystem

The Invisible Way / The Visible End – Low

Bolan's Zip Gun – T.Rex
Futuristic Dragon – T.Rex

Bleeding Eyes – White Manna
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Dec 17, 2017, 23:50
Haha, for about 6 minutes.
Beebon
1375 posts

Dec 18, 2017, 11:59
Quite a bit last week:

Electric Wizard - Wizard Bloody Wizard (Another solid EW album, not their best but not their worst either)

Bretwaldas Of Heathen Doom - Seven Bloodied Ramparts
Iron Man - Black Night
Rainbow - Rising
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Alice Cooper - Killer

Television - Marquee Moon (One of those classics you ignore for years because you know it so well, then stick it on out of the blue and get blown away all over again)

The Fall - Perverted By Language
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
The Neal Morse Band - Similitude Of A Dream

Dream Theater - The Astonishing (Bought this earlier this year at the end of a Dream Theater obsession and never listened to it all the way through... it is tiring and a lot to take in but some classic moments throughout!)

Big Big Train - Underfall Yard (I am guessing not too popular around these parts? I have really gotten into them this year)

Om - Conference Of The Birds
Om - Advaitic Songs (I really want a new Om album)

RIP - In The Wind (This came out last year but only checked it out this week. 'Street Doom' is what they refer to their style as and it has really rocked my world lately)

Wire - Chairs Missing
Slade - Alive
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 18, 2017, 12:22
Beebon wrote:

Big Big Train - Underfall Yard (I am guessing not too popular around these parts? I have really gotten into them this year)

I was given this by someone that didn't want it anymore and thoroughly enjoyed it. Prog isn't normally my bag (and judging by your listings, it certainly is yours!), but they manage not to annoy me too much on this release!
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Dec 18, 2017, 21:23
thesweetcheat wrote:

BEAK>> - "(Merry Xmas) Face The Future" download

That BEAK track is great, weirdly Bowie-esque. Don't forget the terrifying video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHB_opjO0k
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Dec 18, 2017, 21:52
Eeh, the run-up to Xmas has been bizarrely busy. Just a couple of things, both heard late at night, but two artists new to me, and both nicely wintery in different ways…

Poppy Ackroyd – Resolve. So, this lady is a classical pianist/violinist who basically samples herself and makes a kind of Michael Nyman/Penguin Café Orchestra take on electronica. Interesting and overall rather good: https://poppy.bandcamp.com/track/the-calm-before

Bjorn Riis – Coming Home. This guy is the guitarist in a Norwegian prog band called Airbag, but this solo mini-album is more akin to a Floyd-esque take on slowcore. Tastefully done, and again, overall rather good (No stuff online yet, but here’s his last album: https://bjornriis.bandcamp.com/album/forever-comes-to-an-end)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Dec 18, 2017, 21:55
Fatalist wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

BEAK>> - "(Merry Xmas) Face The Future" download

That BEAK track is great, weirdly Bowie-esque. Don't forget the terrifying video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHB_opjO0k

Ho ho ho.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index