32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Re: 2 0 1 7
Dec 29, 2017, 17:26
My favourite gigs this year:

Artists who turn up every couple of years and are always brilliant - Chuck Prophet, Mark Eitzel, Laeticia Sadier, Richard Hawley, Peter Bruntnell, Chris Smither, Martin Simpson. All of them at the Trades and the Live Room this year.

Margo Price 25th January and James McMurtry 6th February both at the Brudenell, Leeds. Both of these were new to me and both brilliant storytellers and engaging performers and great bands. I look forward to future visits.

Last Internationale 22nd November The Lantern, Halifax
New York via Portugal or something. Belting singer - she started with a foot stomping acapella Odette style spiritual and then, joined on noisenik guitar and great drums treated us to their own punk blues rock anthems, ending with covers of John Lennon, Bob Marley, Neil Young and Sam Cooke. That’ll do it! Great gig.

Sleaford Mods 21st October Manchester Academy
Great day out in rain sodden Manchester - eating at Mr Thomas’ Chop House, drinking in Peveril of the Peak, and accompanied by wife and daughter to the gig to see Britains most important band again. If Carlsberg did days out etc. Crap venue - big barn of a place with bad acoustics but the vibe was good and a great deal of respect from the band to the crowd and back again.

Matthew E. White 19th October Trades Club
Really cool guy is our Matthew. He’s only young(ish) but had the air (and the hair), and the musicality of those great seventies icons who had the whole thing down. Put me in mind variously of Al Green, Dr John, Leonard Cohen, Gil Scott Heron, Bobby Womack. Deeply souful electric piano and vocal and a guitarist who looked and sounded like Robbie Robertson. Nice.

Everything Everything 17th June Trades Club
I have my eldest to thank for this. Music coming from her room over the last couple of years. Occasionally I pause and go “Who’s this then?”. And it was always Everything Everything. They were great.

Here's to a noisy rebellious 2018.

Unsung Forum Index