35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2017, 19:49
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 November 2017 CE
Nov 12, 2017, 09:48
Pink Floyd 'Animals' - their last great album IMHO. Vocoder (ugh) aside, this still sounds contemporary and has plenty of Waters' usual verbal bile tempered with great tunes and dynamics. More importantly, it ROCKS, like Floyd rarely do elsewhere. I dig this very much;

Various 'Grind Crusher - The Ultimate Earache' - a bit of a laugh in places - intentionally, I think - but there are some genuinely thrilling moments within this grab-bag of industrial, grindcore and death metal from the early 90's. I now feel inclined to dig out some of the albums featured herein. Watch out neighbours;

Nick Lowe and his Cowboy Outfit S/T - the best of the recent spate of reissues of Lowe's mid-period solo output, with a rocking band centred around Paul Carrack whose sublime keyboard skills have been somewhat overshadowed by his vocals of late. Lowe's own unsung greatness as a pop songwriter is well on show: I've been whistling 'Breakaway' (not the Tracey Ullman hit) all week;

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 'Timeless Flight' - probably the most underrated LP bearing the Cockney Rebel name, this was a brave move away from the commercially successful pop quirkiness of the previous three albums and featured some much more restrained and subtle compositions by its smugly talented protagonist (who was still, it's easy to forget, barely in his mid-twenties at the time). As a result it is a much more satisfying and consistent set of songs in my opinion. I may attempt a full Unsung review of this if I can find the time;

David Sylvian 'Blemish' - God knows what's become of Sylvian of late: his website has been almost completely silent for years now and all of his post-Virgin output - including this wonderfully left field confessional - has been quietly removed from the market, presumably by the man himself. That's a great shame, because Sylvian has never been more interesting and abstractly inspirational than in the present century;

Hindemith & Schoenberg: String Trios (Trio Zimmermann) - favourably reviewed in the latest 'Gramophone', this is an inspiring release of some rarely heard and genuinely original chamber music. I already knew the Schoenberg from an earlier recording by members of the LaSalle Quartet but this version surpasses it technically and emotionally.

Otherwise I've continued to glean unending satisfaction from my box of 'The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings' of the Dave Brubeck Quartet: sublime, smoky jazz wonderment with the heavenly talent of the great Paul Desmond, possibly my all-time favourite musician of any genre. It ain't rock and roll, but I like it, like it, yes I do...

Have a great week, all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index