Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MC
638 posts

Re: The Golden Bat by Tokyo Kid Brothers
Nov 15, 2017, 16:26
Keep scrolling down this site and then you get to the early stuff:
https://ja-jp.facebook.com/YUKKAHIGASHI/

It looks like there was a play called Captain Kid or Pirate Kid in 1973 with a Flower Travelling Band connection. Something called "Yellow Ribbon" in 1972 and Coney Island Play in 1970.

There's various early Golden Bat clips on this page too.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Nov 15, 2017, 16:51
phallus dei wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:
http://www.endless-kid.net/cd/index.html

I can't quite interpret (from the Google Japanese to English) all of what is being written about here, but it seems like the 6cd box of their best albums was talked about, but then cancelled before release. Maybe that's why there are no rips floating around because no one had a good cd source.

No, it was actually released - I even remember (I believe) The Seth Man here writing about it, not being impressed, and sending it back.

The '77 version of Golden Bat that was available on various blogs, which had a few songs from Throw away the Books tacked on at the end, was actually from the boxset. Who knows why that was the only thing from it which circulated.

Maybe I misremembered, I thought based on everyone's description that there was a 2nd TKB box with later recordings. So if Seth was disappointed with it, and it includes the Original Golden Bat, then is this album really worth tracking down?
MC
638 posts

Nov 15, 2017, 18:11
No you probably don't. I suspect Throw Away the Books is them at their peak. So that along with a couple of early Tenjo Sajiki albums is all most people need.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Nov 15, 2017, 19:50
MC wrote:
No you probably don't. I suspect Throw Away the Books is them at their peak. So that along with a couple of early Tenjo Sajiki albums is all most people need.

I think I was getting TKB confused with JA Seazer, who has a few boxes out.
TN245
19 posts

Nov 15, 2017, 19:58
I think it's worth tracking down. When playing near the West-end, it lasted from 1969-1971 (I think), which is likely the longest a TKB musical has run, seeing as they've made 44. The most recent post on that Facebook page starts with a track from The Golden Bat (https://www.facebook.com/YUKKAHIGASHI/videos/352944928399382/). Maybe I'm overhyping it.
TN245
19 posts

Nov 15, 2017, 20:12
I never thought of looking on Facebook, but holy smokes that is a great resource for TKB content, thanks for sharing. I've backed up all the videos and will post them to Soitgo.es to keep them alive. Should accompany the 7 Tenjo Sajiki plays I posted there a while ago.

The footage from the early plays is incredible. Captain Kid is certainly a new curiosity.

It's interesting even watching the post-1975 productions. The Shiro musical looks really good as well, so typical that's one of the few from the period they didn't release on LP. I have no idea what they are crying about in that 'Summer' clip (https://www.facebook.com/YUKKAHIGASHI/videos/317493325277876/). I wasn't that upset when my Grandmother died.
TN245
19 posts

Nov 15, 2017, 20:19
There's a play/musical called 'Tokyo Kid' from 1969. Two tracks from it are on the CD I'm getting and there's also a 'Continued Tokyo Kid' on the CD as well, so that may be another play/musical.
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Nov 16, 2017, 14:15
TN245 wrote:
I can also invite you to SoItGo.es, which is a very difficult site to join.

Would love an invite?
MC
638 posts

Nov 16, 2017, 17:15
Yes the quality is surprisingly good, I'd really love to see the whole of some of these plays. TN do you know KYOKUBAKAN? They were another theatrical troupe active in the 70s but were far more political than TKB and with a very anti-imperial stance their productions often got shut down by police. They put out one album in 1978 called Namidabashi Elegy which is very similar to early TKB in style. I'd been searching for the CD release for years and then suddenly 3 copies popped up on Discogs and I snagged one. I suspect once the other 2 go it'll be very difficult to find again. I could do a CDr of it for you if you wanted.

Tell me about Soitgo.es what is it? Is it connected to this http://www.soitgoesmag.com/ ?
TN245
19 posts

Nov 17, 2017, 00:26
soitgo.es is a private site for sharing Mega links. They allow all types of content, so there's a lot of books, comics, TV shows, movies and music. They recently passed 100,000 uploads.

I'm really interested in KYOKUBAKAN. I remember finding a song from it on YouTube a year ago. For sure I'd invite you if you're willing to share (in FLAC or MP3 V0 or MP3 320) Namidabashi Elegy and the Victor (or P-Vine) release of Throw Away Your Books. I had no idea of the SWAX compression and assumed that was the best quality. I remember ripping the album from YouTube and listening to it on repeat. It was my favourite album for roughly a whole year :O.

It's up to you. If you'd rather share privately my e-mail is [email protected].
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index