Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2017, 22:36
Jehovahkill 25th Anniversary Steven Wilson 5.1 remix
Oct 26, 2017, 21:51
Only kidding. Sorry.

But hey, the Drude seems to be one of the few credible established artists left who hasn’t yet surrendered their back catalogue to the antiseptic sound of Steven Wilson. Maybe it’s only a matter of time. After his soulless clean up jobs on ‘Benefit’, ‘Grey & Pink’ and ‘Red’ (amongst countless other already fine records I love) I dread the day I get that pre-release Burning Shed email...

I know there are a lot of Porcupine Tree fans here and I don’t mean to provoke or offend them. But I really wish that Steven Wilson would concentrate on his own (already impressively prolific) output instead. Within his own musical zone, he’s masterful. Let loose on other artists’ stuff, he leaves me cold. Ice cold. Akin to me, in fact, to laminating the Mona Lisa with sticky back plastic. It’s got to the stage that his name actively puts me off buying things I’d otherwise be keen to acquire: the imminent Crimson ‘70 - ‘72 box and Rush’s ‘Farewell To Kings’, for example. And don’t even mention the long awaited XTC remasters to me.

IMHO of course.

Discuss?
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Jehovahkill 25th Anniversary Steven Wilson 5.1 remix
Oct 30, 2017, 00:44
I quite like what he did with Benefit and Minstrel but I consider them to be companion pieces to the original mixes.

BTW 17/12/16 Ouch!;-)
machineryelf
3679 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 16:10
The only one of his remixes I've heard is the Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time, which in my opinion sounds either like he's missed the point of Hawkwind altogether or he's just trying to be a clever bugger.
Having heard his solo stuff I suspect the latter, I find Porcupine Tree very clever and as dull as ditchwater, his recent solo album [couldn't tell you what it was titled, had a face with yellow and red splodges on] was equally dull, you get about half way through and think Stephen stop being so FUCKING POLITE, much like post Waters Floyd he has the chops but does he have the soul
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 16:28
I own a bunch of 5.1 stuff that is a bonus mix to the normal release, but I've never had a surround setup so I can't tell you how I would gauge the remix. The only one I've been interested in hearing is a 5.1 DVD of Residents-Eskimo that I've had for 14 years (which also has a 2 channel mix). Maybe I'll build a home theatre one of these years.
keith a
9565 posts

Dec 27, 2021, 12:16
It's generally outside my, er, oeuvre, but I've been tempted to get his version of Gentle Giant's Free Hand. Anyone heard it?
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Dec 27, 2021, 23:17
I'm not a fan enough of any of the things he's jigged about with to investigate them, but to me it doesn't make sense in principle - compared to the Visconti Bwiie6 remixes/remasters where he was involved in the originals.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Edited Dec 28, 2021, 03:47
Dec 28, 2021, 03:46
I quite like his rmxs of
War Child & Storm Watch
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Dec 28, 2021, 15:54
Dec 28, 2021, 15:52
Citizensmurf wrote:
I own a bunch of 5.1 stuff that is a bonus mix to the normal release, but I've never had a surround setup so I can't tell you how I would gauge the remix. The only one I've been interested in hearing is a 5.1 DVD of Residents-Eskimo that I've had for 14 years (which also has a 2 channel mix). Maybe I'll build a home theatre one of these years.

I finally did build the home theatre a couple years ago, and I've purchased several of the SW surround mixes (King Crimson, Xtc, Roxy Music, Hawkwind). I'm not enough of a purist to care about the original mixes, and I quite enjoy these. I don't like his solo work, but that has nothing to do with his technical abilities. If anyone doesn't like their classics remixed, then don't buy them and move on. Nothing ruins a party like puerile snobbery.
Unsung Forum Index