Band Names

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Band Names
Oct 22, 2017, 19:10
I expect a fair few of us here are involved in music projects which have nomenclature already, but what about some names for imagined projects that don't yet or probably will never exist?

I was just getting out of a car earlier on today when I stumbled on one potential candidate for a name of a project: Has anyone seen my hat?

That got me thinking, and on doing a bit of washing up I immediately thought of another: Has Deborah Munnings arrived? I can't claim to be the originator to that one as I think it was a Fry and Laurie sketch but what an apposite name for a band thought I.

Over to you.
Paul Higgins
85 posts

Re: Band Names
Oct 30, 2017, 04:56
I like your idea for this post, nice one! I have even visited it a few times and thought of names. Not sure I'm into the ones you thought of too much to be honest, although they are quite funny! I think to really conjure up the best names you'd have to sit down with a bunch of mates for a few hours and list all the best words and see which words go together well etc... Time consuming and obviously a bit pointless if it is only for fun and you don't have a band. Obviously if you had a band it would be worth it!

All I have come up with so far is these....

RASH HOAX
I imagine this to be a Fugazi-styled post-hardcore band

SILVER PELLETS
Trashy slightly punky indie band - the sort that split after 3 albums

SLIM PHOENIX & THE TIDAL WAVES
Wacky country tinged rockabilly four-piece with a double bass player

Good??? Crap??? I'm not sure myself really but I quite like my RASH HOAX one!
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Edited Oct 31, 2017, 09:38
Oct 30, 2017, 09:43
Carwash Meltdown

Acrid Wax

Next Desert

Hornbeam Egg

Guzunda

Panda Passanda

... or Dave Brock's Space Ritual?
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2017, 13:47
Oct 30, 2017, 13:38
Paul Higgins wrote:
I like your idea for this post, nice one! I have even visited it a few times and thought of names. Not sure I'm into the ones you thought of too much to be honest, although they are quite funny! I think to really conjure up the best names you'd have to sit down with a bunch of mates for a few hours and list all the best words and see which words go together well etc... Time consuming and obviously a bit pointless if it is only for fun and you don't have a band. Obviously if you had a band it would be worth it!

All I have come up with so far is these....

RASH HOAX
I imagine this to be a Fugazi-styled post-hardcore band

SILVER PELLETS
Trashy slightly punky indie band - the sort that split after 3 albums

SLIM PHOENIX & THE TIDAL WAVES
Wacky country tinged rockabilly four-piece with a double bass player

Good??? Crap??? I'm not sure myself really but I quite like my RASH HOAX one!

Just appealed to my sense of silliness really - I'm not sure if silliness is desirable in a band name or project, but I'm just imagining someone mentioning they are going to see them or name them with a play on the radio and laughing myself silly.

It's all a bit subjective really, but I find most band names quite dull. I'm sure Mark Radcliffe would tell his listeners what a stupid and ridiculous name for a band mine was like he occasionally does for others. It does annoy actually as his opinion is just another opinion and not actually fact.

Don't mind & The Tidal Waves for a backing band
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 05, 2018, 00:30
Daddy's Little dipshit
Cancelled
Not in Service. Bit of an out to lunch vibe on that one.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2018, 14:49
Jan 05, 2018, 14:49
Lawrence (ex Felt, Denim) came up with some great ones on the sleeve of one of the Go-Kart Mozart albums.....

"Now Form Your Own Group - Here's Some Names If You're Stuck:
Cynthetic Ceiling - Taz Wrapper - Alf Tomkinson's Bycicle Party - KKN - Len Bright And His Folding Paper - Canada Briggs And Her Problems Down There - Rocket Cottage - Babi Yar"
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 05, 2018, 15:15
Go-Kart Mozart is a great name. Bagsy Canada Briggs and her problems down there
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 05, 2018, 17:02
elegant chaos wrote:
Lawrence (ex Felt, Denim) came up with some great ones on the sleeve of one of the Go-Kart Mozart albums.....

"Now Form Your Own Group - Here's Some Names If You're Stuck:
Cynthetic Ceiling - Taz Wrapper - Alf Tomkinson's Bycicle Party - KKN - Len Bright And His Folding Paper - Canada Briggs And Her Problems Down There - Rocket Cottage - Babi Yar"

Though Wreckless Eric had the similarly named The Len Bright Combo
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 05, 2018, 17:57
There was a band in Gloucester years ago called Free Beer, on the basis it would guarantee an audience.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 06, 2018, 20:42
sound cogitation going on there...
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index