Unsung Forum »
Gil Scott-Heron recommendations

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Gil Scott-Heron recommendations
Oct 01, 2017, 13:05
I recently got "Reflections" largely on a recommendation of the phenomenal track "B-Movie" but I also love the rest of the album. Now want to investigate more of his stuff, any recommendations for me? Thanks people!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Gil Scott-Heron recommendations
Oct 01, 2017, 15:39
Try the collection The Revolution Will Not Be Televised as a starting point.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Oct 04, 2017, 09:01
When it comes to music, I only have a best of compilation, so can't really be of much help there. However, I would recommend reading his books, particularly The Nigger Factory.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 06, 2017, 20:16
Early stuff has him going beyond the limits of hi8s singing voice a bit but still has great lyrics.
By the mid 70s he's working with Brian Jackson doing funk based stuff taht's pretty great and I think his voice has improved.

At his best I think he was teh archetype for the singing style that MIchael Franti of the Beatnigs tapped into.

I have a biography of him that I've yet to read.

I think it breaks down to Soul stuff with great lyrics but Gil's voice possibly not up to it is the stuff on Flying Dutchman
Small Talk at 125th & lennox, Pieces oF A Man, and Free Will.

Brian Jackson stuff
Winter In America ,
From South Africa to South Carolina
Midnight Band: The First Minute of a New Day
It's Your World
Bridges
The Mind of Gil Scott-Heron
Secrets
Real Eyes
alll of which I've heard is good. & there are a few live sets around from that era that have turned up on places like Dime so may be track downable.

I think the bio I have is Gil Scott-Heron: Pieces of a Man
by Marcus Baram

and his won novels are pretty well written. He started out as a writer/poet which is why he couldn't fully sing when he started. He got better later or at least until the drugs got the better of him.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Oct 08, 2017, 18:46
Thanks, I will get stuck in.
Unsung Forum Index