Holger Czukay

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2017, 14:24
Re: Holger Czukay
Sep 06, 2017, 14:45
I learned about six months ago from a status update posted by David Stubbs on Facebook that he was in poor health, and his non-involvement with the recent Barbican concert seemed to underline this - so not entirely unexpected, but very sad nonetheless.

Aside from his bass playing, he may have been the most important member of Can as far as the studio recordings were concerned - given that it was his task to take the endless reels of improvised recordings they made at Inner Space and edit them into releasable form.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 06, 2017, 19:30
Popel Vooje wrote:

Aside form his bass playing, he may have been the most important member of Can as far as the studio recordings were concerned - given that it was his task to take the endless reels of improvised recordings they made at Inner Space and edit them into releasable form.

And I know you wouldn't, but we shouldn't forget his body of solo work. The last couple of weeks I happen to have been revisiting Movies and On The Way To The Peak of the Normal, and realising what timeless amazing albums they are.

And I've always loved the stuff he did with David Sylvian too. Magical.

Byebye Holger, and thanks x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Sep 06, 2017, 21:31
Oh no.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Sep 06, 2017, 21:35
Squid Tempest wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:

Aside form his bass playing, he may have been the most important member of Can as far as the studio recordings were concerned - given that it was his task to take the endless reels of improvised recordings they made at Inner Space and edit them into releasable form.

And I know you wouldn't, but we shouldn't forget his body of solo work. The last couple of weeks I happen to have been revisiting Movies and On The Way To The Peak of the Normal, and realising what timeless amazing albums they are.

And I've always loved the stuff he did with David Sylvian too. Magical.

Byebye Holger, and thanks x

Quite agree, and "Boat Woman Song" from Canaxis is a personal favourite.
keith a
9565 posts

Sep 06, 2017, 22:33
Sad news, albeit he was a good age. Holger Czukay, fab madcap bassist, RIP x
garerama
garerama
1104 posts

Sep 06, 2017, 22:34
No. What a great loss.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Steely Can People's Playlist
Sep 07, 2017, 12:19
Just had this on 6 music celebrating the music of Walter Becker and Holger Czukay. Shamed to say I'd never heard cool in the pool while obviously being familiar with Can and Holger's On the way to the peak of normal. Gonna have to check out his debut album Movies now
phallus dei
583 posts

Sep 07, 2017, 21:50
God, I hadn't checked in here for a few days and didn't know. Czukay was always my favorite member of Can. Most of his solo work all the way through the '90s was at least interesting. I was still hoping he had one more good album in him. What a loss.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 07, 2017, 23:52
Wow, passed away at Inner Space. Maybe his spiritual home. Sad loss. His quirky solo work was at times quite mind expanding. I will listen again and enjoy.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 08, 2017, 01:34
When did he hook up with Brian Eno? I would be surprised if they didn't have a lot to chat about.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index