27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2017 CE
Jun 12, 2017, 12:46
machineryelf wrote:

Can – The Lost Tapes some cracking stuff here but I can't help feeling that a trim could have produced a killer single CD, having said that I listened to all 3 cds and enjoyed every minute

Depeche Mode – Delta Machine decided to concentrate on this, along with youtube interviews of DM , Mr Gahan begins to look very weary of being asked about clinical death after being asked for the 255th time, every now and then someone mentions the music and Andy Fletcher gets to answer the question which seems strange as he appears to have nothing to do with it.
Depeche Mode band politics are now an endless source of fascination to me

Yeah, I agree with your apprasal of the Can Tapes CD's, there are some absolutely cracking tracks on it, but not all are what you might term 'killer CD' standard. As you say, a bit better editing and you'd have one crucial Can album. Not bought the 'Singles' CD yet, but probably will at some point....just cos' of the completist in me.

A few years ago, I got totally dragged into all things DM (so much so that I seem inadvertantly to own pretty much every album....I don't recall buying half of them! and most don't get played that often). Anyhoo, I read one of the many biogs of the band around at the time, and it seems Andy's role is as some sort of peace maker/ smoother over between Martin and Dave, even before Vince or Wilder left. Andy was always really 'Martin's friend',and was someone for him to go drinking with. He seems to have stuck with them through thick and thin....apparently he had more of a business head on him, and in the studio, I think I read his main role is to make the tea :). Think Dave only got the gig originally cos' they needed an outgoing front man, which I think he still performs pretty well, seeing as the rest are mostly stuck behind things. Not sure about the new record, but at least they are trying to say something politically, even if it is only on their usual People Are People/ Everything Counts kinda level. Their hearts in the right place, bless em'. I always like to imagine them as the electro pop version of Metallica, through all their disfunctionality, they can't seem to survive without each other. A therapy film with DM would be quite entertaining.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index