Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2017 CE

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 14, 2017, 00:07
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2017 CE
Jun 11, 2017, 11:46
For some reason I've barely felt the inclination to listen to anything but power pop this week. Perhaps I'm feeling galvanised by the unexpected ray of hope offered by the election result, and power pop - with it's combination of uplifting melodies, ringing guitars and rhythmic urgency is the perfect accompaniment. Of course, the genre did have a did have a downbeat underside too - as evidenced by Big Star's second and third albums and some of Badfinger's slower songs, but whatever ...

Big Star - No.1 Record

Badfinger - Sraight Up / No Dice / Wish You Were Here
(What is it with Pink Floyd and nicking other people's album titles? See also Medicine Head's "Dark Side of the Moon")

The Raspberries - Greatest

Blue Ash - No More No Less
(Can't work out why this lot weren't huge. They had all the populist glitterstomp appeal of Slade with the melodic flair and emotional depth of Big Star, yet their one pre-re union album barely sold squat outside their home state of Ohio).

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything
(OK, this is a patchy record, as are pretty much all his albums except possibly "A Wizard A true Star") but its highpoints reveal that it'd easily have been a masterpiece if only he'd had an editor).

The Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action

Stories - About Us

The Moondogs - That's What Friends Are For
(Liked this when it came out but it mostly just sounds like Ramones-lite these days)

Scarlet Party - 101 Damnations E.P.

Next week I'll stop pretending it's 1975 again and get back with the programme - honest.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index