9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Re: Damo Debut
May 09, 2017, 23:48
Paul Higgins wrote:
Hi all I'm off to see Damo Suzuki play in Bristol this Friday and wondered what I have in store??? I've never seen him play live before but I'm really looking forward to it and feel his experimental improvised approach to live music sounds very exciting. What should I expect or is it better to have no expectations? Apparently this Friday he's gathered some local musicians to play with him.

I'm really pleased Damo's up and about again - he's had some serious health issues in recent years that have severely limited his activities. Regarding the gig - it largely depends on his backing musicians, or 'sound carriers' as he prefers to call them. If they're anywhere near as sensitive and reactive as he is, you're in for a treat. If he's backed by showboating egomaniacs, maybe not so - I've seen both situations. Just don't expect him to sing 'Mother Sky' - he has a zen-like feel for the moment and disregard for the past. What's more, he's a really lovely, very self-effacing and friendly bloke. I've personally had the honour of performing onstage with him twice and thoroughly enjoyed both evenings. Hope it's a good gig, and if you get the chance, tell him his friends in Hebden Bridge say hello (we won't be seeing him until his next tour in Aug/Sept).

Unsung Forum Index