Keith Hudson: Dubmaster

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Keith Hudson: Dubmaster
Apr 26, 2017, 03:02
One of those stories with a happy ending...About 1980 a mate who owned a record shop in Kingston upon Thames gave me a spin of Hudson's album From One Extreme To Another. Didn't have the dosh, left it, went back, gone. It was so good I've never forgotten it. Anyhoo, tripped up over the dub variant of it the other day, called Nuh Skin Up, fresh rerelease on Pressure Sounds, gave it a spin and...good beyond wildest dreams. Anyone who remembers me trilling about Island Records Presents Dub a couple of years or so back: buy this mutha with impunity. It'll shred your synapses even without t'erb. Truly, truly great. Reckon the most imaginative dub I know. A total trip.
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: Keith Hudson: Dubmaster
Apr 26, 2017, 03:17
Agree, Nuh Skin Up Dub is one of my favorite dub albums too, and certainly the best dub by Keith Hudson.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Apr 26, 2017, 18:16
If it's half as good as 'Pick A Dub', it must be a belter. Will check out...
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Apr 27, 2017, 04:13
Pees on Pick a Dub imo..Bought the expanded version of that recently, had vinyl for decades, still doesnt hit spot. Nuh Skin Up, though...ooweee. Have it.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Apr 27, 2017, 09:47
spencer wrote:
Pees on Pick a Dub imo..Bought the expanded version of that recently, had vinyl for decades, still doesnt hit spot. Nuh Skin Up, though...ooweee. Have it.

Seconded.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Apr 27, 2017, 10:05
The only Keith Hudson record I've heard (and own)nis "Torch Of Freedom" - bought it after hearing New Order's Peel Session take of "Turn The Heater On" - which they played because it was a favourite of Ian Curtis'. Despite Sumner getting the lyrics hopelessly wrong - "Gonna Beat Them All" instead of "Turn The Heater On" (the clue's in the bloody title Barney!) it was a good introduction to the great man's work - the album is superb IMHO.
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Apr 28, 2017, 09:52
Good tip man, I really like KH. Having liked his stuff for years I only relatively recently (4 or 5 years back) picked up copies of Flesh Of My Skin Blood Of My Blood & Playing It Cool & Playing It Right.

Of those, Flesh of My skin is one I'd recommend. Along with, as you said, Nuh Skin Up and also Entering The Dragon. I really like Pick-a-Dub, but it doesn't really sound like other stuff he's done. It is a classic, but on a different tip to his other stuff.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Apr 28, 2017, 12:32
If you ever trip up over the Studio Kinda Cloudy comp grab it too
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Apr 28, 2017, 12:33
The expanded Rasta Communication's worth the money
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Apr 28, 2017, 12:35
Knew you had taste. Must try to get to Damo at the Trades (if not crocked :()
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index