Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: One Three One related cds
Mar 03, 2017, 21:26
phallus dei wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:

If JC was really RC, then what an overly complicated and long term secret that has been, as he was active since 1978 and released a bunch of music. Do you really think he had this alter ego for 30+ years just so he could write himself into a book and remix an old song on an obscure CD-R? Now that would be an effort equal with faking the moon landing (which also didn't happen, the faking it part I mean, and no I don't want to debate it).

Hope your "not wanting to debate it" is related to the moon landing, not RC/JC. No, I don't think Cope has been pursuing an alias for 30+ years, though I certainly wouldn't put it past him to be pursing an alias for 5 years, and then posting a bunch of stuff on bandcamp (and even listing it on discogs) that claims to have been released earlier. I don't recall anyone ever hearing about Skin Patrol, One Million Fuzztone Guitars, and Robert Courtney before 131 came out. And I could totally see Cope creating an elusive post-punk alter-ego, who, in true Les Rallizes Denudes fashion, exists in perpetual obscurity, recording new versions of the same songs over & over. I remember in one of the last Address Drudions, Cope referenced his then-upcoming 131 and said something like, "prepare to have your concept of reality and fiction forever challenged." Having one level of clearly made-up bands, and then another level of purportedly "real" bands, that are also made up - and all done by Cope himself - would be a way to fulfill that promise.

In any case, when listening to some of the Robert Courtney stuff (I haven't listened to all of it), it sounds like it could be Cope singing in an accent (same as the Dayglo Maradona tracks). And, as mentioned, it seems that the publicist writing about the Robert Courtney tracks is the same person who writes about Cope's work for HH. In another coincidence, the bands Robert Courtney follows on bandcamp are all 131 bands.

I'll happily debate any fictional obscure bands, but I draw the line at enabling truthers about the moon landing.

There are plenty of references to those bands before 131, I own the original single of Rock Section, and it certainly smells 36 years old.

Also there was this mention from Postpunksampler (yeah yeah, another clever Cope conspiracy to make us think it's real):

21. COLOURS OUT OF TIME – ‘As If In Another World’ (1981 John Peel Session)

Remember the Colours Out Of Time? Nere, nobody else does neither. Yet these poor sods from Crewe, in Cheshire, were several times close to getting somewhere had they not, every time, scuppered their own chances by changing their own metaphor and (accidentally) becoming a different band. I booked them to support The Teardrop Explodes at Liverpool’s Club Zoo on the strength of their first 7” single, a gigantic Detroit chasm of a riff-song with no noticeable IQ of its own. Then they turned up for the show and sounded like us, organ’n’all! ‘As In Another World’ sees the Colours Out Of Time in a When I Dream state-of-mind, soon after which they morphed yet again, this time into a transatlantic soundalike of those terrible Paisley Underground spewdo-psyche outfits.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index