Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What are you listening to RIGHT THIS SECOND?

Pages: 46 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT THIS SECOND?
Jan 25, 2017, 02:26
The Nice - Hang On To A Dream ... Tim Hardin RIP ... Keith Emerson RIP
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2017, 04:52
Jan 25, 2017, 03:08
Just spun Love's first album for the first time in forever. Having trouble connecting to former favourites right now, but I knew Love wouldn't fail me. One thing I never noticed before is how upfront that crunchy bass is on even the most tender tracks. Adore that Byrdsian jangle of 1966, especially on Can't Explain. That track is definitely one of those void-fillers Lester Bangs wrote about (something so simple and perfect it feels like it's always been in existence). No Matter What You Do is another swaggering void-filler. There are a few slightly feebler cuts at the end of side B, but hell of an enjoyable listen nevertheless. Listen prompted after finally finding a link to Love Story: https://vimeo.com/80188255

ETA: Gah, great doc- like that Ramones End of the Century doc, it caught a lotta people right at the very tail-end of their lives- but I hate how it completely dismissed Four Sail and Out Here at the end. Always See Your Face is one of the most beautiful musical treatments of depression ever written, dagnamnit!
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 11:29
You are right. Echols liked some things I wrote and said so. He's a very, very nice man. Arthur's foil. One of the very few bands that I've been prepared to travel far to see. I have stood in front of Arthur at the mic and looked into his eyes: a privilege. Long live Love. Keep playing them, Sin. You can do that in your head : )
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 11:35
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker. The title track. It is on Youtube. Play it loud and visualise Nick Cave singing it. I hope one day he does...he would do it right. The man is gone, but if anyone is his heir it is Nick Cave. He's his own man and will do things his own way. I hope it is for a while yet.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jan 27, 2017, 03:36
Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2017, 22:25
Jan 27, 2017, 21:44
Live in Leuven by Jah Wobble, Jaki Leibezeit and Philip Jeck

Saw Wobble play live at the Con Club in Lewes last night. He put out a shout in memory of Jaki Leibzeit "the best drummer in the world". Couldn't agree more.
petemcfc
119 posts

Jan 27, 2017, 21:55
Jump Into The Fire off Nilsson Schmilsson,Herbie Flowers bass rumble,class,on the cd its a bit weak but off the LP Ive got a 1980 repress its blinding.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 27, 2017, 22:13
Couple albums by great lower-key Dutch Incredible String Fans, Elly & Rikkert: Parsifal and De draad van Ariadne. Think they may have released something like an album a year since 1969, and most of them I've heard are really fine childlike folk gems.

Also been playing Love Peace & Trance, which is some gorgeous ambient poppy stuff produced by Haruomi Hosono. Much as I've always dug Ryuichi Sakomoto (ever since Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence), I've got to give the Most Talented Member of Yellow Magic Orchestra award to Hosono for having almost the exact same career trajectory as Brian Eno.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2017, 22:25
Jan 27, 2017, 22:24
Song To The Siren - George Michael -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj47NriBTN8
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 27, 2017, 23:05
Alfred Schnittke's overwhelming Choir Concerto. Heard John Cale talking on Desert Island Discs about how with choral music the building is almost more important than the singers. This must have been recorded in one beautiful fucking building.
Pages: 46 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index