Unsung Forum »
Stewart Lee Interval Music

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Stewart Lee Interval Music
Nov 24, 2016, 23:03
Anyone seen the current Content Provider tour and picked up on the interval music? At the end of the first half he refers to the fact that he had been recommended Japanese and Turkish Funk compilations and that he would be playing some of this music in the break between sets. The first track sounded like Can with Steve Gadd playing kit. Really great piece of music so if anyone knows what it is do please reveal all. Cheers. IB
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Stewart Lee Interval Music
Nov 24, 2016, 23:31
Was supposed to see him recently but the leg got cancelled and I couldn't make the replacement. Drag.

Most of Can actually got their collab on with a Turkish dude called Alex. Not something from that? Patella Black. Then again, Anatolian Rock has a ton of hypnotic, swirly near-kraut stuff, so who knows?

Fave Turkish rock thing is Erkin Koray's searing live album Live in Nazilli. I found most of the studio stuff of his a wee bit dry, but that album has such a Razilles by way of Iron Butterfly vibe. Love it. I do have a propensity for grotty sounding live recordings, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_CgaKHgyc
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2016, 05:42
Nov 25, 2016, 05:38
Thanks I will check those out. Sound interesting in their own right.

I've been going to see him in Leicester Square for as long as I can remember and this is the best set I have seen him do in four or five years. Though with the work-in-progress stuff you can never be sure whether you are at a great night or a still-working-out-the-kinks compounded by a crap audience one.

Anyway I think the track I was particularly drawn in by (which had a Halleluwah meets Vitamin C intensity) was the Japanese one. Hopefully all will be revealed.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Nov 25, 2016, 06:07
He plays The Fall quite a bit pre, interval and post. The occasional Velvet Underground song too. Some people are like that though. They gravitate to the good stuff.
Rigsby21
1 posts

Sep 14, 2017, 10:56
Saw him in Oxford on Monday - did a bit about late night internet purchases of 70's Turkish funk, then played two stunning examples in the interval. Alas, couldn't get to him at the end to find out which album they came from.
Unsung Forum Index