30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 December 2015 CE
Dec 07, 2015, 00:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
Violator is great too. That was the album that got me into them (well, actually the preceding 101 was but that's live rather than studio).

Jah, Violator is a goody and no mistake,when Iused to work record mail order, we shifted serious unts of that on it's release, plus, the 12" singles that came out from that record have some great sounds and mixes on them.
I always admired them trying to incorporate their welth of influences into the music they make. I do like the metal bashy/quasi industrial stuff, but some of it does come across as a little contrived, almost for 'hipness' sake.
No doubt their hearts are in the right place when trying.

Can't think of may bands from the same era still trying fresh material for most new albums, let alone who've out lasted the various bumps and scrapes of DM's career.

101 is deffo another goody. Kinda live greatest hits for their career up to that point. S'great to blast out darting up the autobahn too. TBH, most of their albums have at least one or two redeaming features about them, but many of the later recordings especially just don't hold together as great records overall. Of course, having said that, as I write I'm listening to a charidee find of Delta Machine, and I gotta say, so far (6 tracks in) I am enjoying it immenseley.

The only thing I'd change about the electro-pop classic 'Speak and Spell' album would be to omit 'What's Your Name' from the tracklisting. It's so cringe inducing, I have to skip it every time. Hell, if I was of a antagonist persuation and got caught. Forget blasting Slayer at me, just put What's Your Name on repeat and I'd be putty by the second spin.

Arrrggghhhh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seq6aHMbcqc

Mind you, from a Brit perspective it's easy to underestimate their influence on dance culture. Think it was Derek May that stated that DM where right there alongside Kraftwerk for influences on those early techno classics.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index