Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 December 2015 CE
Dec 06, 2015, 12:18
Monganaut wrote:

Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again/A Broken Frame
More DM this week, seem to be on a bit of a synth pop kick at the minute.
Hadn't heard 'Construction' in years. Can see why now, it's a bloody terrible record. OK, it showed the first instances of their sub dark quasi industrial gleanings, but other than the singles, it's pants. Everything Counts is a great pop moment, even if the slightly kak handed lyric is a little cringe worthy at times, the sentiments they were trying to convey still hold true, probably more so these days. I curiously googled what other peeps thought was the best/worst DM albums. The only consensus is that the sub angst goth/industrial stuff was thought of as better than their synth pop inception. Now for me, it's the other way around. Speak & Spell and A Broken Frame are far and away better records than say, Some Great Reward or Black Celebration.
Leave In Silence (quieter) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJultihvB0
My Secret Garden (Excerpt) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvqamBFluis

Interesting, Black Celebration is probably still my favourite DM album (although actually it's probably two or three years since I last played it), whereas I've never really given Speak And Spell much chance probably because I absolutely can't stand the choruses of "See You" and "Meaning of Love".

I quite like Construction, the lyrics are very naive but with their heart in the right place, and I've always found the first forays into pipe-banging, clanging samples are endearing too. "And then..." is a great closing track.

Monganaut wrote:

Simple Minds - Reel To Real/ Empires and Dance
Y'know, if Simple Minds had split after 'New Gold Dream' as far as I'm concerned, they'd have left a near perfect legacy. I can just about take Sparkle in The Rain, but the rest, meh!Have a great week y'all.

Completely agree, apart from their debut which is kind of Roxy-inflected New Wave, that first run of albums up to NGD is terrific. I've not really listened much to anything they did after the one with "Belfast Child" on it (can't remember the name) but Drewbhoy tells me that the recent stuff is worth the effort, and the last album does seem to have had a better reception than anything they've done in a long time.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index