Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Jun 01, 2016, 09:07
I'm gonna have to explore this lot! I've been hearing the name elsewhere, but (scrap metal aside) your recommendations are always inline with my persuasions.
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Edited Jun 01, 2016, 10:32
Jun 01, 2016, 10:10
Fitter Stoke wrote:
For me it's the (English) Kaleidoscope's two albums and attendant singles, collected on a fabulous two CD set on Grapefruit that my mate drew my attention to a few months back. Wonderful stuff, the essence of late 60's baroque psychedelia: equal parts 'Odessey & Oracle', 'Forever Changes' and 'Piper at the Gates' but with a unique slant all of the band's own. I regret the lost decades that I could've been grooving to this wondrous music.

If you know them, hopefully you'll know what I mean. If you don't, for goodness' sake put that right soon. Then buy my mate a drink!

I'm a big fan of the UK Kaleidoscope, since picking up a lovely vinyl reissue of 'Faintly Blowing' just based on the dream-like gatefold sleeve around 15 years ago, and it was a real treat to see Peter Daltrey performing most of their classics (no 'Black Fjord', though!) at the Islington Assembly Rooms about 18 months ago. Members of The Trembling Bells were the backing group, and a great job they did too, but to everyone's delight original guitarist Eddy Pumer joined in for 'The Sky Children':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHlq2xiCkc

and then he returned to the stage, along with original drummer Danny Bridgman for the freak-out at the end of 'Music':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FnLe-lIDNY

A three-quarters complete reunion, although sadly as complete as we'll get following the tragic death of bassist Steve Clark back in '99, although his daughters were in attendance at the show and commented on how he'd have loved to have been up on stage too.
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Jun 01, 2016, 13:47
Following an appreciation on Richard Williams' Blue Moment blog, bits n bobs on Yewtub of Elephant8, Scandijazz trio. Very good live, apparently..vintage Softsy with a twist, taking that type of sound forward. Mmmm...nice
Giantskip
6 posts

Jun 01, 2016, 21:24
I'm on a first time drone metal binge so catching up with Earth, Toner Low, Sunn O))) and UFOmammut. Started on this journey when, one night, Blue Cheer just didn't scratch my itch. Believe it or not, I believe it's due to raised testosterone caused by my paleo eating regime - usually I listen to Sunshine Pop.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 01, 2016, 21:58
spencer wrote:
Following an appreciation on Richard Williams' Blue Moment blog, bits n bobs on Yewtub of Elephant8, Scandijazz trio. Very good live, apparently..vintage Softsy with a twist, taking that type of sound forward. Mmmm...nice

I assume you mean Elephant9, unless they've subtracted one! Dodovoodoo is great album, will have to dig it out again - thanks for reminding me.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jun 02, 2016, 05:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2d9FtkO7nk
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Jun 02, 2016, 12:49
Yup, doh.. viral dozyitis reigns
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Jun 03, 2016, 01:08
The Monkees - Good Times!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Jun 03, 2016, 02:49
The Membranes feat Chamber Choir Sireen - Dark Energy

Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3joeMBYe4k8
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 08, 2017, 20:18
Finally got round to buying Bauhaus - The Sky has gone out on CD. Is there anything else they've done this good?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index