Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Jun 07, 2015, 14:44
No, bit out of my usual geographical area. But I love the idea.
olivergoodyear
56 posts

Jun 07, 2015, 18:41
mr sulcus wrote:
Also, Dean McPhee - solo guitar, not similar but puts me in mind of Dylan Carlson who I'm quite a fan of. Saw a review in the Wire, looked up on youtube, purchased some mp3s. Have the new one "Fatima's Hand" on a shopping list.

Dean McPhee lives quite local to me, and plays around here quite a bit. Worth catching live. The Carlson comparison would have never occurred to me but there's something in it. A similar sense of space.
olivergoodyear
56 posts

Jun 07, 2015, 18:46
I caught Guapo at Raw Power and was fairly impressed. I thought I'd seen them before (also with Circle, in Leeds in the early 00s) but they didn't seem at all like the band I remembered so may well be mixing them up with someone else. The best bits for me were the more skronky bits - the guy who played lots of wind instruments including bagpipes was great. Is that Sullivan? I have the first Grumbling Fur album but I bought that more due to Jussi Lehtisalo's involvement, which only seemed to last for that one record. It doesn't sound much like the duo stuff that I've heard since; it is very loose and improvy.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jun 07, 2015, 20:34
Guapo have gone through a number of musical styles and personnel over the space of 20 years, so possible they sounded quite different. They started off in a post-post-hardcore vein, moved through various avant rock stages, and are now firmly in the area of dense, Crimson-esque psych/prog. Daniel O'Sullivan is no longer with them, not sure who'd be on pipes, Emmett Elvin?

I really liked some of the second Mothlite album eg. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tygtCBMymWA But I remain a bit mystified by the praise heaped on Grumbling Fur, both O'Sullivan and Alexander Tucker have done better stuff elsewhere.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 08, 2015, 09:11
Finally picked up a physical copy of Holger Czukay's on The Way To The Peak Of Normal last week. Used to have it on vinyl 20 odd years ago.
Very odd slinky stuff from ex-can geezer.

Stevo
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 08, 2015, 18:18
Well that's the next few weeks listening sorted out - thanks everybody.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 18, 2015, 17:31
Jah Wobble and the Invaders of the Heart doing a session for Marc Riley yesterday. On the back of his 6CD retrospective, redux I suppose. I have always found Jah to be one of the most entertaining interviewees and he lived up to the billing. Did a looser version of Public Image Ltd, plus Visions of You and No man is an Island. Fab er dab er docious.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jun 22, 2015, 15:06
GNOD's Infinity Machines. Listening to it last night on my mate's good system we decided it sounded like prime Chrome meets Boards meets GY!BE plus an element that, like The Necks, sounds like nothing else. Very impressive.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 21, 2015, 20:05
Terry Riley - In C
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jul 21, 2015, 23:26
Cortar Todo - Zu

Echo Echo Mirror House - Anthony Braxton
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index