Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Jun 06, 2015, 11:53
Used to think he was the son of Robbie Basho, but it turns out they were both influenced by the same Japanese haiku poet.

By the way, he did do a bunch of albums before Inside. In Search of the Eagle's Voice and the two Fleur De Lis' in particular invoke the other Basho primitivist (who's my favourite musician of all time).

And um I'm starting to get back into musik again, after maybe listening to seven or eight albums total over the span of 18 months, so I'm gently re-familiarising myself with my own collection again.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 15:14
And what a collection that must be! I only came across the German Basho through your brilliant archived music "radio" shows.

The first Basho is definitely my desert island disc. When I turn my back on the world and hike off to the Sierras and lose myself. Probably to die of starvation and be eaten by an equally hungry bear.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2015, 16:29
Jun 06, 2015, 16:28
Monganaut wrote:
Yeah, have enjoyed the Lonelady stuff a great deal (think she was at the Wire gig in Manc, but I didn't wanna bug her). For some reason, parts of the sound remind me of Prince circa Purple Rain/1999. Dunno why, but one of the tracks (forget which off the top of my head) reminds me of that Darling Nicky cheesefest off PR.

As to the original post, Feeling a bit jaded/meh! music-wise at the minute. Not much has really caught my attention this year (though that's probably me tbh) though I do have a pile of newbie stuff I've picked up which I've yet to plough through (new Gnod, People of The North, Guapo, BJM, Unkown Mortal Orchestra, Squarepusher etc...). Will reprt back on them when me mojo rises a little.

Though having said that, Have re-discovered the delights of the prog/post rock monster that is 'Five Suns'. Don't hink they ever bested this release tbh, it's relentless, though for maximum results, yu gotta imbibe it in it's entirety in a single sitting.

Taster - III - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGU5oSo0RY

I don't want to sound like some drooling adolescent, but OMG, I had no idea that Guapo have a new album out! Thanks for the tip, have purchased immediately. I agree that Five Suns is utterly monumental, easily one of the top releases of the 21st century and the benchmark againt which all modern avant prog/psych should be measured. For me, they dipped a bit after that (was disappointed by Elixirs) but History of the Visitation was right up there again.

There's nothing that's compleltely blown me away this year, but I'd certainly recommend the debuts from Taman Shud and Tender Prey, and Stealing Sheep's Not Real.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2015, 17:32
Jun 06, 2015, 17:22
laresident wrote:
And what a collection that must be! I only came across the German Basho through your brilliant archived music "radio" shows.

The first Basho is definitely my desert island disc. When I turn my back on the world and hike off to the Sierras and lose myself. Probably to die of starvation and be eaten by an equally hungry bear.

Oh wow, didn't expect that. Hadn't even thought of those shows for ages. I think I lost a bit of balance somewhere down the line and needed a musicless soul-colonic. Now I reckon I feel the wonder again whenever I turn on the stereo. I'll definitely round those shows out to 100 some day soon. A thousand salaams for the pick-me-up!

I remember being driven across the Rockies when I was a kid in a great big rickety R.V., and almost getting blown off the side of one of those winding mountain roads, but I've never been to Sierra Nevada. I've always wanted to, though, after reading John Muir and his beautiful nature writings.

I'm definitely bringing both Bashos along with me next time I go hiking, by the way. A genuinely crazy thing happened to me two nights ago: I was about as far out in the middle of nowhere as it's possible to get in Southern England, lying in my hammock and fast asleep, when I awake at about 3 in the am to these weird boozy hippies nearby chanting Pig Latin paganese. I was understandably pretty freaked out at first, until I heard one of them say, "Did ya bring the trail mix? I'm bloody starving". It's those kind of things that make you adore the world and the loveable parasites who walk on her.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 19:46
Slaves.
We had the radio at work on R1 and their live session stood out from the rest of the dross. Looked up their Jools Holland appearance on youtube and it knocked my socks off. Album is a bit patchy, or more like over-long - could've been a brilliant short sharp 25mins, but some quality tracks overall.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 19:48
Have you followed the map in the first album? Been meaning to take a trip down to take a look.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 20:15
Also, Dean McPhee - solo guitar, not similar but puts me in mind of Dylan Carlson who I'm quite a fan of. Saw a review in the Wire, looked up on youtube, purchased some mp3s. Have the new one "Fatima's Hand" on a shopping list.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 21:23
Yeah, I found Elixirs and Black Oni a bit of a letdown after Five Suns, enjoyed the 'visitation' album too, mostly cos' it had a huge slabe of Five Suns probably. Not dipped into the new one yet, pre-ordered and it turned up on June 1st. I'm holding back till my musical Meh-ness has subsided a little, else I'm sworried I'll be a little underwhelmed.

Cheers for the 'tips' will check them out.

Boredoms - Super Roots Three is a bit of an epic riff-fest. No where near as epic as Five Suns, but an enjoyble 30 odd minutes non-the less.

Super Roots 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiY6HmGDtLY
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 22:39
Monganaut wrote:
Yeah, I found Elixirs and Black Oni a bit of a letdown after Five Suns, enjoyed the 'visitation' album too, mostly cos' it had a huge slabe of Five Suns probably.

Have you heard/got the Twisted Stems EP they did between Black Oni and Elixirs? Latter period Talk Talk are a band routinely blasphemed against through inappropriate comparison, but the two tracks on TS really are in that territory, and are tremendous - which made Elixirs all the more disappointing when they re-recorded inferior versions of them with completely extraneous vocals. One of the original tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_X-y24WyoQ
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2015, 03:34
Jun 07, 2015, 03:15
Yeah, that might be the Daniel O'Sullivan influence. He went on to form and play in Grumbling Fur (as well as appearing with Ulver and Sunn and Mothlite to name but a few of his extra curricular bands). GF seem to be channeling mid period Depeche Mode on most of their releases, so the Talk Talk comparison may not be too wide of the mark. I quite enjoy them tbh, much different to Guapo and the other bands he's involved with though.

First few (3?) albums prior to Five Suns are worth a listen, though 'Great Sage, Equal Of Heaven' is deffo channelling Magma, parts of 'Leif and Leige' era Fairport Convention and King Crimson massively. You can deffo see where Five Suns evolved from. It's a pretty full on release, probably my second fav Guapo album. Lots of skronking free jazz sax thrown into the mix.

Great Sage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja2zFxGkB_c

Flower Machine (From Towers Open Fire) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D73k4-OYvy0

Golden Fist Of Hirohito (From Hirohito) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BLsueb69lM

Was lucky enough to see them live on tour with Circle to support Five Suns. Was the first time I'd heard of them. As you can imagine, they were amazing. The drummer was a force of nature.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index