Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 12:43
The naturally psychedelic
Feb 27, 2015, 12:38
It's occured to me that people have been tripping out on shrooms for millennia and that this would have been for pleasure not just ritual. Their auditory accompaniment apart from whatever instruments were extant would have been the sound of the surrounding environment, perhaps most prominently birdsong. I can vouch for the quality of a CD available on Amazon called Dawn Chorus: A Sound Portrait of a British Woodland at Sunrise, which is an old but very atmospheric recording from the British Library Sound Archive. Linked to it on Amazon is another CD simply called Dawn Chorus, which I haven't heard, but reviews indicate is just as good. Birds sing for many reasons, including, I am convinced, for the hell of it and because they are happy. On recordings like this song for whatever purpose and none may coexist simultaneously. It is a natural form of free jazz, psychedelic and uplifting. The Floyd's Granchester Meadows and Cirrus Minor would be lesser pieces without it, as would Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band's Greenfield Morning, which uses the same sample as the latter.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 12:49
Re: The naturally psychedelic
Feb 27, 2015, 12:47
A birdsong is not inheretly happy. Usually a cry for help, shelter and for food.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 13:09
Markoid wrote:
A birdsong is not inheretly happy. Usually a cry for help, shelter and for food.

A happy side effect of being on top of the food chain for so many millennia and becoming divorced from the rhythms of the natural world. Our soundtrack was everything else struggling beneath us. Surfaces darling, it's all that has ever mattered.

As an aside - the big problem with Darwin in the late 19th century wasn't the challenge to religion. It was the portrayal of the nature as an arms race, the challenge to the sentimental Victorian idea of nature.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 13:24
Whether they were tripping on shrooms or not there would have been a long period from late autumn until about late February when bird song was was not being sung .
Even the very different bird calls , as opposed to song i.e. those of alarm , etc are heard much less in winter (robins are one of the few species that can be heard singing in winter but it is short and inspid and unlike their summer song ) ,there is a good reason for this . In temperate regions the brain centres that control song shrink in winter , just as the testes and oviduct shrink until a massive change in the breeding season .
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 14:03
Feb 27, 2015, 14:01
Sorry, accidentally made a reply to your post when meant to reply to original topic, hence disconnect between two. Anyway, sticking to my belief that some, I never said all, birdsong is done for pleasure. I've spent thirty years working outside. Trout derive pleasure from being tickled otherwise they wouldn't allow it. Nor would other animals. We are not the only living thing on the planet which once in a while may be happy, arms race or not. I don't think that singing, purring whaterver is necessarily done for an audience of the same species or another and that, on occasion, other species than humans may enjoy being alive and express it. Life and death not life or death. To return to topic, I reiterate my opinion that certainly the first CD would be a very good accompaniment for a 'modern' human chemical journey.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 14:28
Markoid wrote:
Usually a cry for help, shelter and for food.

That's bird calls , quite different from bird song .Difficult to judge between help and "Gimme shleter " , with the former being common , more likely , and subsuming the latter .
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 14:42
No I agree. Whatever the cause of the sounds around us it is our soundtrack, one that has accompanied us for 3 million years. Our environment is written in our psyche surely.

Trout though. Isn't tickling a way of catching and eating them? Bit of a betrayal by mama nature there. Pretty sure I'd never run to a bear or a tiger for a cuddle.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 15:23
Feb 27, 2015, 14:56
tiompan wrote:
Markoid wrote:
Usually a cry for help, shelter and for food.

That's bird calls , quite different from bird song .Difficult to judge between help and "Gimme shleter " , with the former being common , more likely , and subsuming the latter .

Why do wood pidgeons have the same call? It could be a procreation thing I suppose.

I wrote a poem once about songbirds.

Here it is

AND THEY SAY THERE’S NO SONGBIRDS

ARETHA WOKE ME UP THIS MORNIN’ AND MARY TOO

BILLIE WAS RIGHT BY MY WINDOW BUT I WISH IT WERE YOU

MARSHA WAS THERE ALSO BUT I JUST STOOD AND STARED

AS I WISH IT WERE YOUR VOICE THAT I’D HEARD

JONI WAS IN THE BATHROOM BRUSHING HER TEETH

AND WHEN I SAW JANIS THROWIN UP IT RAISED ME

TO MY FEET.

NICO TOOK THE RUBBISH OUT AND THREW IT IN THE BIN

AND SAID TO ME DEEPLY THAT LOU WAS IN SIN

ELLA SWEPT THE CARPET AND UNDERNEATH THE FLOOR

THEN I PHONED LIZ FRAZER TO COME AND DO SOME MORE

BUT I WISH IT WERE YOU TO COME KEEP HOUSE FOR ME AND

AND THEY SAY THERE’S NO SONGBIRDS

ARETHA WOKE ME UP THIS MORNIN’ AND MARY TOO

BILLIE WAS RIGHT BY MY WINDOW BUT I WISH IT WERE YOU

MARSHA WAS THERE ALSO BUT I JUST STOOD AND STARED

AS I WISH IT WERE YOUR VOICE THAT I’D HEARD

JONI WAS IN THE BATHROOM BRUSHING HER TEETH

AND WHEN I SAW JANIS THROWIN UP IT RAISED ME

TO MY FEET.

THEN I KICKED MADONNA OUT

WHO HAS NEVER HELD A DUSTER AND GAVE YOU A

‘CLEANING’ THAT NO MEN COULD MUSTER.AND YOU SANG…

APPLE BLOSSOM- MY LITTLE POSSUM XXX
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 15:03
Vaguely recall hearing that cats developed meowing solely as a means of communicating to humans. They don't do it around anyone else.

As to my fave animalistic Field Recordings: I love the final track on Songs of the Humpback Whale, Three Whale Trip. It legitimately sounds like some trippy electronic piece. There's a cool album called "Broken Hearted Dragonflies: Insect Electronica From Southeast Asia" that lives up to its name. Jim Nollman's recordings with wolfpacks, Turkeys and the like is nice, too. I don't think people realise how much more Folkways Records did than just document folk's ways. Lester Bangs wrote about a proto-Industrial thing called Sounds of the Junkyard they put out, but I have a couple of other nature recordings by them. The one I can remember off the top of my head is Sounds of North American Frogs, which knocks Paul McCartney into a cocked hat.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: most psychedelic record you've heard?
Feb 27, 2015, 15:05
Is that the album where they let the audience have a try on the microphone and it ends up in a bit of a riot?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index