Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2015, 15:09
Re: Pronouncing band names wrong
Feb 12, 2015, 14:56
Sin Agog wrote:
It seems weird that he'd take a snazzy showbiz name like Bowie (!!!) and drearify the pronunciation to the point where he may as well have stuck with Jones.

True. Does anyone actually know why he adopted the name Bowie (not the reason for the change which is well documented but the actual reason for the name?)
I've never read anything to confirm it but my own personal theory is that during David's mod scene years there was a RnB band doing the rounds at the time called The Wild Ones who released a modsploitational single called "Bowie Man"* b/w The Purple Pill Eaters (har har har, what fun). I always wondered if he got his name from that record (or if at least his attention was initially drawn to the knife by it).

*incidentally they sing 'Bo-whay' (rhyming lyrically with 'the next day**') which is probably significant of nothing at all :-)

**maybe David is re-referencing this record again for his last album title. Maybe it's all one big chain of clues, who knows, all I can say for sure is that the walrus was Paul.......
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index