Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
your most hatred bands / singers / musicians albums you can't stand ?

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2014, 08:43
Re: your most hatred bands / singers / musicians albums you can't stand ?
Oct 03, 2014, 08:42
Kid Calamity wrote:
All of these artistes have produced stuff I like, at some point. Yes - even Phil Collins.

Me too - especially Steely Dan. In fact, I can't think of a Steely Dan record I don't like. There, I've said it now. I can't take it back.

Even the most odious and/or disposable of pop music acts (I hate the word "artists", especially with the pretentious 'e' added) has the right to make one decent record. I've despised The Osmonds for 45 years, but always dug 'Crazy Horses', for example. I could list loads of other examples by acts I personally can't stand, even R*bb*e W**ll**ms (well okay, just one track).

Are the original poster's choices coloured slightly by an opinion of the persons concerned as people, of are they based purely on musical appreciation grounds? Whatever I think of Phil Collins' hardcore Tory, homeless-pitying-from-his-Caribbean-home lifestyle, I can't deny that 'In The Air Tonight' is a genuinely original and enduring 45, and he is a gifted drummer with a portfolio stretching from Genesis and Brand X to Robert Plant and Eno. The Eagles may be prime purveyors of overplayed, Smooth FM fodder, but there are some fine, rarely played tracks of real substance on their early LPs. And why the beef with Clapton? He might have blanded out in the wake of his heroin and alcohol addictions but he's still left a decent legacy of great tracks, and not just as far back as Cream.

And Steely Dan? Howay man, they're fucking class.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index