Your very loudest concert ?

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Debaser
Debaser
241 posts

Re: Your very loudest concert ?
Aug 17, 2014, 19:57
Would have to be Leftfield at the Octagon in Sheffield May 2000. No escape as there were speakers front and back - the two huge bass stacks at the back were the killer. By three songs in my ears had given up and the sound just travelled through me internally, I honestly thought my heart was going to burst. I guess that's how Evelyn Glennie 'hears'

There was a Crass gig in Lincoln late 70's early 80's that was uncomfortable on the old(well, youngish) lugs too.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 20:19
Bloody hell! That Leftfield one sounds oppressive! I saw Tricky in Wolverhampton, about ten years ago. No stage lighting - just loud bass and beats.

I had to leave the gig early, for some reason, and distinctly remember the coins rattling in a parking meter nearby!
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 21:01
Motorhead Hammersmith Odeon 1980 (Ace of Spades tour). The days before limiters and my ears were ringing for three days.

Others I remember as being rather loud: Swans, Sunn0))) (At one point I had to check my ears weren't bleeding) and My Bloody Valentine.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 22:58
Acid Mothers Temple, at Ibiza.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 23:01
Whenever I've been to a Tricky gig, I can never be sure if he was really there. No lighting to speak of and his back turned to the audience the whole time. Pretty sure on at least one occasion I was watching a big Tricky-sized marionette with a speaker stuffed inside it.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 23:55
Actually, yes, AMT at the Star & Garter several years back was pretty fuckin' loud now I think of it.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Aug 18, 2014, 06:32
I remember the plasmatics being quite loud as were kraftwerk back in 99.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2014, 06:50
Aug 18, 2014, 06:46
Neubaten would have been '83 and that was a good two seasons before JAMC I reckon. The only controversial aspect of the Peel programmed week was SPK being hauled off stage after 20 minutes for being a fire hazard. JAMC's appearance was the season immediately after Peel so Christmas / New Year 84/85. That was my last one.
keith a
9572 posts

Aug 18, 2014, 08:07
The Damned in a small club in Chester, 1979 was LOUD, ditto a recent Gary Numan gig in another small venue in the same city and MBV circa 1989 which sounded like a plane taking off.

But the LOUDEST was, surprisingly, the Boo Radleys at Buckley Tivoli circa 1990. It was uncomfortably loud. You would get used to it as a song progressed, but then when they started another song after those few secs between songs it would hit/hurt you once again. It took quite a few numbers to get used to it.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2014, 09:35
Aug 18, 2014, 09:35
Not sure. But, a year or two back, I went to see Swans, Atari Teenage Riot and Robyn in the one week. It was the latter that left my ears ringing for hours afterwards. (She also had 100% more banana in her show)
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index