Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chesterwick
Chesterwick
64 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2014, 10:49
Re: Your very loudest concert ?
Aug 17, 2014, 10:44
Onslaught - Bristol Colston Hall 1987.

Not so much being at a gig as being next to several jumbo jet engines at full throttle. The stage diving was equally unbelievable, too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 12:26
The Heavy Metal Holocaust, headlined by Motorhead, at Port Vale football ground 1981. Spoken of in whispered tones to this day cos it blew everyones eardrums apart.

Honourable mentions for Hawkwind on the Sonic Attack tour, Swans in Liverpool in the 80s and My Bloody Valentine on the Rollercoaster tour.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2014, 15:32
Aug 17, 2014, 13:17
Manowar - Hammersmith Odeon (as was) Christmas '88 or possibly '89. Stupidly loud and stupid.

Long way second prize might go to Savatage and Metal Church at the same venue a couple of years before. So loud we didn't stay for the headliner.

Then there was JAMC at ICA Peel Week 84 or 85. I only stayed in the hall for two songs as I was working.
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 13:27
The Azusa Plane at Terrastock III. The whole audience sitting on school chairs with fingers in their ears. Tragically, Jason DiEmilio eventually took his own life because he could no longer bear the terrible tinnitus he'd inflicted upon himself.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 14:00
Throbbing Gristle at Heaven Under the Arches. Not just because they were T.G. but because I feel I've wasted a show unless I've barged my way to a clearing near the front, and those clearings, sensibly enough, are usually right in front of the loudest speaker. Ended up tearing off the corners of a fiver and stuffing them into my ears.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 16:41
Would have to be Motorhead at Woods in Plymouth min 70s. The loudest I didn't go to was Mott The Hoople at the Vandike, Plymouth possibly 70 or 71. I got off a bus about half a mile away and could hear them playing inside the club, needless to say I didn't go in.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 16:52
PIL. In oxford. Was shouting for a week.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 17:08
IanB wrote:

Then there was JAMC at ICA Peel Week 84 or 85. I only stayed in the hall for two songs as I was working.

Was this the same week as the Neubauten Concerto for Voice & Machinery which saw them trying to drill through the stage to the tunnels below? Cos I'd be surprised if that wasn't louder. & Swans did their 2nd UK gig around that time in that venue for a series like that.
Don't know why I missed the Neubauten. I was down for a gig by The Moodists supporting The Box during that week.

I only really remember seeing JAMC at the Electric Ballroom at that time, which was one of the riot gigs.

Stevo
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Aug 17, 2014, 17:22
Outdoors: Deep Purple - Bedford Football Club '70 ... they were the loudest band in the world at the time. YES ...... Grand Funk Railroad - Hyde Park '70ish ... ran 'em close ....... The Who - Charlton '74 ... PA was the full combined US stadium tour rigs of Elton John and iirc ELP: a waaaall of stacks, with the 'Ooo blasting through it ....... Indoors: Blue Oyster Cult, can't remember London venue, maybe Theatre Royal or New Victoria, around the time of release Of Appetite For Destruction/Reaper ....... Miles Davis - Hammy Odeon late '70's. Mike Stern had just joined. Guitar excrucuatingly loud, smothered Miles. Fucking horrible ...... Albert King - Hammy Odeon '79/80 ... had a diddy amp and speaker, but the sound if his Flying V through the PA was wincingly unbearable in the second row. Loved what he was doing, but...... Richard Thompson Band - Ballroom, Sheffield City Hall ... around the time of Mock Tudor.. had my head against the PA for Can't Win etc: no regrets..
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2014, 14:33
Aug 17, 2014, 18:30
The earliest gigs were loudest to my virgin ears. The Damned, on before T.REX were terrifying, down the front at the Birmingham Odeon. However, some twenty five years or so later, at a competition winners only gig at Broadcasting House Prince certainly equalled that!! Again, I had a front row line of fire position. Ka-BOOOOM!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index