IanB
6761 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 06, 2013, 18:15
Sin Agog wrote:
IanB wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
IanB wrote:
I am sure you must have wondered what someone else was hearing in something they love but is absolutely mystifying to you. Could that not be down to the fact that the actual activity of searching out and buying the artifact might be satisfying in itself and that the actual music could not help but be enjoyable with that kind of opiated thrill behind it?

Or...could it also be they just like something you don't like? They have different sensibilities borne from leading different lives. Stop trying to explain away other people's tastes because they don't match up with yours. The vast majority of music-listeners aren't feigning passion. They genuinely adore the music they love. This objectivism is objectionable. Every person is a different world.

Yes both is possible. Of course. All the time and that cuts both ways. People listening to mainstream music aren't faking it either. I am just saying music (even the cool bits) is not immune from consumerist impulses. I've been there and bought the box set(s) that now gather dust. As have most of us here have I would imagine.

I've probably done that a fair few times in the past, but I could never go so far as to convince myself I love something I don't. That dizzying euphoria when you want to keep on playing a thing at every opportunity because you love the world you're in while the record is playing- I could never make that up. I've had those affairs with the mainstream and the underground, the new and the old. I don't really think of music as a product of a time and place so much as a transportation to a variety of worlds via the medium of sound, but I'll accept that's probably not an especially common attitude, though not quite rare either. I'm not really qualified to say what drives other people towards music, but I do know that a pose alone can't inspire a person to spend day-in, day-out with a piece of music. Well, unless they're really, really desperate to get noticed.

That is a great post.

As for the pose thing I did buy all three Generation X albums and I suspect it was mainly for the hair and the trousers.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 19:45
Charlie2300 wrote:
This is all getting very personal and polarised, people. I dislike personal invective aimed at other members of the Unsung forum. Unsung contributors are, almost by definition, passionate about the music they support through personal taste...and that's cool. We all have our opinions and, by and large, they're all valid. Live and let live.

People get passionate about their side of an argument. Sometimes it slips into personal grudges.

I know a guy who left facebook because I challenged his warped assertions about how the earthquake that crippled Fukishima was caused by HAARP, Feminism is tyranny, etc.

Using crude youTube 'exposes' where longwinded amateurs would share conspiracies with other conspiracy theorists to build their arguments.

Sometimes an opinion has something to back it up with and can be articulated, and sometimes an opinion forms in some cauldron of emotionalism or hollow defensiveness.

I can get pretty passionate about the difference between a crude, reactionary opinion and a thought-out argument. I get pretty irate when someone tries to blow past the structured argument and move right onto 'because I said so'.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 21:07
Sin Agog wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:
This is all getting very personal and polarised, people. I dislike personal invective aimed at other members of the Unsung forum. Unsung contributors are, almost by definition, passionate about the music they support through personal taste...and that's cool. We all have our opinions and, by and large, they're all valid. Live and let live.

Hippie!

Really?! I had a think about this...I'm not old enough to have been part of the original hippie movement and in the den, orthodox belief holds that the entire Haight-Ashbury scene was about as radical and useful as a chocolate ashtray. This is a musical prejudice predominantely because I've always liked the sounds from black boxes, noise generators, synths etc and that appeared to be totally absent from that scene (recently, I discovered "Fifty Foot Hose", the exception to the rule, although only loosely part of the Haight-Ashbury scene). No worries about long hair, outlandish clothes etc, but the practicalities of 'free love' has always been off the agenda for me; too shy for that.
But the crunch is the mantra "Peace and Love". That's not applicable to Homo Sapiens. We're a barbaric species beyond a critical mass as history has shown time and time again. A decent enough bunch in small groups, but don't pack them too close together or the knives will come out.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 21:31
Was just being specious, man. :D (I still refer to people as "man". How can I not be down with the hippies).

I should use this opportunity to think up some more long-haired '60s psychedelic synth music. Silver Apples should count. White Noise's Electric Storm. There was Mort Garson's stint with psychedelic rock on The Zodiac's Cosmic Sound, which definitely qualifies. There must be more!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 21:50
Lately I've been listening to Ty Segall, who I think's great, reminds me a bit of Beck. Also been having a blast to The Doors and The Beatles and The Sprague Brothers (who probably nobody's heard of, but I like them anyway!)
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 21:56
Sin Agog wrote:
Was just being specious, man. :D (I still refer to people as "man". How can I not be down with the hippies).

I should use this opportunity to think up some more long-haired '60s psychedelic synth music. Silver Apples should count. White Noise's Electric Storm. There was Mort Garson's stint with psychedelic rock on The Zodiac's Cosmic Sound, which definitely qualifies. There must be more!

Relax...I appreciated the context from the outset. No worries.

....and you've got to be pyschic as I've just launched Silver Apples, Fifty Foot Hose and The United States Of America onto the soundtracks thread. Literally...two minutes ago. The first White Noise album is a phenemenon in it's own right - in my younger days, I used to freak out unsuspecting friends with a 'timely' rendition of the Black Mass tune or The Visitation...and Here Comes The Fleas is deadly on acid.
I'd be real interested in other psychedelic rock outfits that have passed me by. Recommendations will be followed up.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 07, 2013, 10:42
Charlie2300 wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:

Relax...I appreciated the context from the outset. No worries.

....and you've got to be pyschic as I've just launched Silver Apples, Fifty Foot Hose and The United States Of America onto the soundtracks thread. Literally...two minutes ago. The first White Noise album is a phenemenon in it's own right - in my younger days, I used to freak out unsuspecting friends with a 'timely' rendition of the Black Mass tune or The Visitation...and Here Comes The Fleas is deadly on acid.
I'd be real interested in other psychedelic rock outfits that have passed me by. Recommendations will be followed up.

Spoils of War: (early electronics and tape effects):
http://youtu.be/AVXEMo5XimI

Tonto's Expanding Headband:
http://youtu.be/ec8BGEb7_iA

Mother Mallard:
http://youtu.be/y2tdlz2A8C0

Enjoy!
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2013, 11:54
Oct 07, 2013, 11:53
stray wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:

But their grandads persist in thinking they can make relevant new music. Using your logic shouldn't they give up?

I also dislike the notion that there is any moral dimension to the music I choose to listen to and when it was made. Fuck off, none of your business.

I was joking in the original post, but thought I'd carry on playing along. If you care to browse posts further up you'ld see I commented that I listen to a lot of Blues from the 1920s.

I agree with the 'fuck off' sentiment, I'm aiming my comments at Ian who is the one passing judgement on others taste, the value of their taste, and the value of music, here.

You're actually making exactly the same point that I'm making.

Sorry, was just moving some incorrectly parked tanks. That was a non aggressive "fuck off", tend to use them instead of punctuation in conversation, or just as I pause to gather my thoughts. If I'm honest it's an involuntary tic.

This thread made a pleasant change, as noted by a friend of mine who posts here, that some actual opinions were aired - we should give up on polite discussion more often.

Sorry about your lawn.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 07, 2013, 14:39
I get the same sort of thing, people using you tube to justify an argument, or even worse which I've had "it said so on facebook!"
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 02, 2014, 12:10
Oct 07, 2013, 22:19
IanB wrote:

The discography police were then reduced to waiting for some poor innocent to come along and declare their love of Eric Clapton or Bob Seger or some other 70s or 80s rocker still to be rehabilitated by the critics. Then the knives could safely come out. Even easier if their politics didn't quite fit either.

Hmmm - if you're referring to what I think you're referring to, that's not how I remember it. I think the knives came out for one particular poster because of that person's rudeness, aggression, self-righteousness and fondness for playing off other posters against each other than for their taste in music or for their politics. I've seen people on here who've admitted to liking music that's just as popular-but-unhip as Clapton or Seger who haven't been flamed about it because their posts were more civil. A poor innocent? That's what he'd have you believe.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index