Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2013, 14:09
Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 06, 2013, 14:05
Robot Emperor wrote:

But their grandads persist in thinking they can make relevant new music. Using your logic shouldn't they give up?

I also dislike the notion that there is any moral dimension to the music I choose to listen to and when it was made. Fuck off, none of your business.

I was joking in the original post, but thought I'd carry on playing along. If you care to browse posts further up you'ld see I commented that I listen to a lot of Blues from the 1920s.

I agree with the 'fuck off' sentiment, I'm aiming my comments at Ian who is the one passing judgement on others taste, the value of their taste, and the value of music, here.

You're actually making exactly the same point that I'm making.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2013, 15:11
Oct 06, 2013, 14:08
Charlie2300 wrote:
This is all getting very personal and polarised, people. I dislike personal invective aimed at other members of the Unsung forum. Unsung contributors are, almost by definition, passionate about the music they support through personal taste...and that's cool. We all have our opinions and, by and large, they're all valid. Live and let live.

Understood, but Ian and I have both been here for over ten years (I think). We're old enough, and detached enough (its only an online forum flamewar, it's not actually important), to cope with these disagreements.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 15:23
Charlie2300 wrote:
This is all getting very personal and polarised, people. I dislike personal invective aimed at other members of the Unsung forum. Unsung contributors are, almost by definition, passionate about the music they support through personal taste...and that's cool. We all have our opinions and, by and large, they're all valid. Live and let live.

Hippie!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2013, 15:58
Oct 06, 2013, 15:54
stray wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:

Understood, but Ian and I have both been here for over ten years (I think). We're old enough, and detached enough (its only an online forum flamewar, it's not actually important), to cope with these disagreements.

It would have been quite possible to have had that conversation in full without descending into personal abuse but it is hardly the first time this has happened here.

I have been around here long enough to remember when people got routinely mocked for liking mainstream metal. It was only when Cope started writing about Van Halen and Kiss and BOC that the tide turned. The same thing happened with Prog though that thawing was more down to a significant minority speaking up in its defense than any Cope pronouncements.

The discography police were then reduced to waiting for some poor innocent to come along and declare their love of Eric Clapton or Bob Seger or some other 70s or 80s rocker still to be rehabilitated by the critics. Then the knives could safely come out. Even easier if their politics didn't quite fit either.

God forbid that they mistake their rock and roll fetish for being in any way the same as ours. Where would that leave us? We'd just be a bunch of consumers differentiated by the vagaries of taste and fashion and the tug of nostalgia. I love music beyond all reason but that doesn't mean you can't question why the hell we bother. That's all.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 15:55
Sin Agog wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:

Hippie!

Guilty.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 16:05
No fight then?
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 16:22
IanB wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:

Hippie!

Guilty.

Maybe in the same way Jann Wenner's a hippie. ;)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2013, 18:55
Oct 06, 2013, 18:11
Sin Agog wrote:
IanB wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:

Hippie!

Guilty.

Maybe in the same way Jann Wenner's a hippie. ;)

Jann Wenner? David Geffen, please! ;-)
Though saying that they both hated Metal.
Sharon Osbourne it is then.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 18:12
Vybik Jon wrote:
No fight then?

At my age I would need a runner.
Fweezella
Fweezella
15 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 18:15
OK, good enough. I love Lana Del Rey and purchased her last two CDs. Bob Marley is a genius. I've bought all of System of a Down releases. Grand Funk. Sorry, but you can't beat the Beatles. Some Jack White is good, especially the Raconteurs stuff. The Stooges are great and i like early Rush (up to Moving Pictures). Some Neil Young is good and I even like some of Zeppelin and Jethro Tull. Much of the rest that I like is obscure or bands with cult followings like Ween, Flower Travelin' Band, Dead Weather, Brain Donor... I am not ashamed to like what I like.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index